Thread: Jon Lester

Jon Lester

Okay, i know this guy is in the majors now, as he struck out 10 batters in 6 IP tonight against the Washington Nationals. But what does everyone think of this kid. He's only 22 and the Red Sox fans are drooling over him. I was in a conversation with a few Red Sox fans today who said that Lester could pitch for any team's rotation in the majors. I made an argument that he wouldn't pitch for the Tigers, Angels, White Sox or Indians. He hits 91/92 mph on the gun as a lefty and can touch 96. Baseball America says he's the 22nd best prospect in the minors and i was just wanting a little feedback on this kid from someone who isnt a Red Sox fan. Don't worry Red Sox fans, you're opinion is welcomed also.

I'd take Lester right now over Jeff Weaver, Jon Garland, and Fausto Carmona. As for Detroit? I may take Lester over Miner, if only because he wasn't that impressive to me.

As a Sox fan, he's possibly the second best LHP prospect in the game
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    Yeah, but you wouldn't take him over Jerad Weaver who should be starting instead of his brother.

Well...no, not right now at least. Both are very highly regarded. It's not my fault the Angels management are doofs.

You have to understand that Zach Miner is 3-1 with a 2.05 ERA, Jon Garland is getting a 3 yr $29M contract, and that Jeremy Sowers, who is 9-1 in the minors, NOT Fausto Carmona are all there. So i don't think that Lester would be used in those rotations. Also keep in mind that the Red Sox used David Pauley, Lenny DiNardo and Kyle Snyder as their No. 5 starter instead of using Jon Lester

Miner: Has also never had a record of success like that over a full year in the minors, and Lester's 2.76 in his very limited time isn't a whole lot worse. And I'm about as convinced of his results as I am of Lester's, since his two best starts came against...less than powerhouse teams.

Garland: Who cares that Ken Williams gave out a bad contract? I would take Lester over him right now.

Sowers is a very good prospect, but he was 30 ranks lower than Lester on this years prospect list and his great year last year wasn't that much better than Lester's

And your facts are off on the 5th starter deal. They used Dinardo since his service time is already started, and the team wants to get him more MLB experience (plus, he's not half bad). Pauley, my guess is that they used him because he isn't as valuable as Lester is, and maybe they needed a start from a player a day after Lester pitched? Snyder was called here after Lester was already with the club, and effectively, that makes Lester the #4 man on this team since Wells and Clement are hurt