Thread: Drew most likely to go back into draft

Drew most likely to go back into draft

East Valley Tribune: Drew most likely to go back into draft

SAN FRANCISCO - Stephen Drew’s time with the Diamondbacks may be over before it began. The D-Backs presented 2004 No. 1 draft choice Drew with what managing partner Ken Kendrick characterized as an "eminently fair’’ final offer April 13, and Kendrick said Wednesday he believes it likely that Drew will walk the same path taken by brother J.D. Drew in 1997 and reenter the draft this June.

"If I were making a prediction, I think it is unlikely he will sign,’’ Kendrick said Wednesday. "We haven’t ended discussions, other than they have our final offer.’’

Drew signed with the Camden Riversharks of the independent Atlantic League on Wednesday, although he remains the D-Backs’ property until May 31, the week before the 2005 draft.

I just heard he's suppsoed to sign, we jsut offered a big deal to him.

AA ERA
    The drafting of Stephen Drew was the last straw for Jerry Colangelo as Ken Kendrick, Diamondbacks CEO, decided to fire him and take an hostile takeover of the team. Kendrick and company did not want the D-Backs to draft Drew, but Colangelo still did it anyway to spite those guys.

AA ERA
    Sad situation for Arizona if they don't get him. I remeber the Cubs had a player with a similar situation a few years ago (I want to say Bobby Brownlie was the name), but they signed him just before he was going to go back to school.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Indeed it was Bobby Brownlie. Not a bad spect either.

As for Drew, he comes back to being the most polished hitter available, while projecting out at CF or 3B.

I thought he'd take the 9.5(I think that's what it was) that he was offered, but kids these days...

AA ERA
    Do you think he would go ahead of Alex Gordon? I would take Gordon ahead of Drew after this whole deal.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I doubt he'll go ahead of Gordon, but he is still the best hitter in the draft.

He's going to slip in the draft due to contract demands again, I'm sure.