Thread: Bullpen almost set...

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Indians Bullpen almost set...

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/plain...820.xml&coll=2

Winter Haven, Fla.- These are the days that make players and managers nervous. Decisions must be made and the time to make them is running out.

The Indians beat Cincinnati, 9-4, Sunday at Chain of Lakes Park on a chilly afternoon by Florida standards. It was a bullpen game for the Indians, meaning the seven pitchers manager Eric Wedge sent to the mound were relievers. Cliff Lee stayed on schedule to start the third game of the regular season April 5 against Chicago by pitching six innings against Class AAA Buffalo.

Wedge did this because there is still one unclaimed spot in the bullpen. Lee's spot has been his since he won 18 games last year, but Jason Davis, Steve Karsay and Danny Graves are still trying to win the last job in the pen, and Wedge wanted to see them against the best competition possible.

Davis started and pitched two scoreless innings for the victory. He struck out one and allowed one hit.

Karsay allowed a leadoff double to Brian Buchanan in the third and an infield single to Tony Womack, but did not allow a run.

Graves, considered the favorite headed into the last week of camp, retired the first two batters in the fourth before Austin Kearns hit a home run to cut the Tribe's lead to 6-1. Three straight hits followed the homer as the Reds made it 6-3.

Wedge said the competition is still "very close." He said a decision could be made by the middle of the week. The Indians break camp Saturday and open the season Sunday against the White Sox.
    Who would you rather have? Davis, Karsay, or Graves? I'm surprised that Graves would be the favorite...if Karsay is healthy, I'd take him personally.

08 AL Cy Young: Cliff Lee Pronk48's Avatar
    Rookie ERA
    I like Karsay,but I'll take whoever will win us games.
    Cleveland Indians : 0-5, 5th AL Central
    Pittsburgh Pirates Record: 3-2. 1st NL Central

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    ok, well I hope your team has a crystal ball then

Ha ha. Didn't Jason Davis used to be a SP? A talented pitcher, IIRC.

Rookie ERA
    Id like to see Karsay in the pen. Davis can put some heat behind the ball, but he is just too inconsistent. I dont know much about Graves, but from what I have seen of Reds games, he looks pretty inconsistent too.

Rookie ERA
    Ya, Karsay would be nice to see in the pen, ive always liked him for some reason.

How bout Wickman thought hes good but i dont know if he will be a key person this year. I think we need another key closer

Wickman is pretty old, anybody think that there is a chance of his arm dieing and having a 8 ERA? Just me wishing.