Thread: Indians sign Kotchman

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Indians Indians sign Kotchman

CBS Sports' Jon Heyman reports that free agent first baseman Casey Kotchman is "headed to the Indians."
    Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain-Dealer has confirmed that a one-year, $3 million agreement is in place. Kotchman, 28, posted a cool 306/.378/.422 slash line with 10 home runs and 48 RBI in 563 plate appearances last season for the Rays and ranks annually among the top defensive first basemen in the sport. He represents a nice upgrade for Cleveland over the slightly younger but far less productive Matt LaPorta. Carlos Santana will also see time at first base in 2012.
    Good, solid signing for the Indians. Looks like they made their annual Major League signing. I don't see him repeating his 2011 season but he is a good platoon option with LaPorta.

Rookie ERA

Re: Indians sign Kotchman

I am glad CK found a home and some extra cash.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I think it's a good signing. I know they have LaPorta and just took a flyer on Russ Canzler, but you know what you're going to get with Kotchman. And even though he doesn't hit for power, he's a patient hitter and the young guys on that team could benefit from a model like that.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Rookie ERA

Canz can also play RF, LF and 3B as per the Rayism of versatility.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Indians general manager Chris Antonetti indicated Friday that Matt LaPorta is likely to begin the season at Triple-A.
    The Tribe signed Casey Kotchman to be their regular first baseman, and they'd like to give LaPorta everyday at-bats. The former top prospect will compete for a bench role, but Antonetti thinks LaPorta would benefit from some more seasoning. With a career .313/.400/.553 batting line there, LaPorta has nothing left to prove at Triple-A. He might have run out of chances with the Indians, though.
    The prize of the Sabathia deal could be running out of time. Who knew that the throw in of that deal (Michael Brantley) would stick more so than LaPorta.