Thread: Orlando to Cleveland

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Indians Orlando to Cleveland

Jon Heyman of SI.com reports that the Indians have signed Orlando Cabrera.
    Terms aren't yet available. The 36-year-old Cabrera struggled to find an opportunity this winter after batting just .263/.303/.354 with four home runs and 42 RBI over 494 plate appearances with the Reds last season. It's not clear what role he'll play with the Indians, but Jason Donald and Luis Valbuena figure to lose some playing time.
    Asdrubal Cabrera was hurt for a big chunk of last year so this looks like insurance in case it happens again. I still don't like the fit as I thought other teams could have used him, mainly the Brewers. If he learns to play some second and third, it will help his trade value at the deadline if he plays well enough. I think this will be only the second MLB contract the Indians have made all offseason.

MLB ERA

Re: Orlando to Cleveland

Over the past few years, Orlando Cabrera has been in the playoffs with quite a few teams. His defensive range is decreasing, but his leadership in the clubhouse is still intact. The Indians have a decent pickup here.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Maybe him playing second will help that decreasing range. Definitely should be a trade chip at the deadline so his playoff streak might not be over.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Orlando Cabrera might have some use for his veteran leadership as a bench guy, but the days of him contributing as a starter are over.