Thread: Choo Could Shoo?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Indians Choo Could Shoo?

Shin-Soo Choo will participate in the Asian Games this November in an effort to receive an exemption from the South Korean military.
    South Korean men are required to serve two years in the military by age 30. Choo, 28, has no plans to give up two years of his baseball career in order to fulfill the obligations. With that in mind, if South Korea wins the gold, Choo would likely receive an exemption. Indians assistant general manager Chris Antonetti called this the "ideal scenario." If they fail, Choo could begin the process of becoming an American citizen. It doesn't look like his MLB career is in danger at the moment, but Indians fans will keep a watchful eye on the Asian Games this fall, anyway.
    WOW! Never knew this was even a possibility. Choo could possibly miss two of his prime years as a MLBer if he doesn't win a gold medal which isn't easy to do over there. I would have been an American citizen my rookie year if I knew this could happen. First its Hafner's shoulder being blown to bits, then Sizemore's inabililty to stay on the field and now the Indians could lose Choo for two years. It ain't easy being a Cleveland fan.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Choo Could Shoo?

"In this fall, I'ma take my talents back to Seoul Beach."

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

realmofotalk said it well regarding Choo:

He has to serve if his nation's law requires it for him to go back home; that's just the deal. But how about the South Korean government's ultimatum of "You must win the gold for us or else you're going to boot camp"? Not a very gracious message to your next generation of athletes who wish to represent your country in the Games.

MLB ERA

This is an interesting situation. I agree that it sends a bad message to athletes. If the Koreans win gold, he will be allowed to forgo his service. What message does this send to others who are not so talented? How about the other guys on the team? Do they get exemptions if the team wins?
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk View Post
    "In this fall, I'ma take my talents back to Seoul Beach."
    I believe its pronounced SOUF beach..?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Shin-Soo Choo hit a pair of two-run homers Saturday and knocked a two-run double Sunday in back-to-back wins for Korea at the Asian Games.
    Choo can get an exemption from Korea's required two-year military service if his home country takes the gold medal. So far they're 2-0 and Choo is doing his part both at the plate and in the field. The semifinals are scheduled for Thursday and the championship game will be played on Friday
    Good news for both Choo and the Indians!!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Shin-Soo Choo will likely be exempt from military service since he helped South Korea beat Taiwan for gold at the Asian games yesterday, according to MLB.com's Jordan Bastian (on Twitter). As Bastian explained yesterday, able-bodied South Korean men must spend two years in the military by the end of their 30th year. There's a way out, though; athletes receive an exemption if they win gold at the Asian games.
    That should be the end of that. Choo I think has earned that exemption. He is representing South Korea quite well in the Majors.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

D'oh, this might be a bad time to ask for that exemption.