Thread: Indians denied Alou

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Indians denied Alou

• The Cleveland Indians inquired about acquiring Moises Alou to hit between Travis Hafner and Victor Martínez in their batting order and were told he is unavailable.

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports...14045470c.html

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Now it looks like they are after any of many Reds hitters.

INDIANS INSIDER
    Tribe hunts for Reds for October
    Saturday, July 09, 2005
    New York- The Cincinnati Reds are one of the teams the Indians are talking to in an effort to improve their offense.

It is no secret what the Tribe wants - a right-handed hitting outfielder to bat between Travis Hafner and Victor Martinez in the middle of the order. They hit dead ends in San Francisco and Milwaukee when they asked about Moises Alou and Carlos Lee.

The Reds, 21 games out of first place in the National League Central, offer more than one possibility.

Third baseman Joe Randa and outfielders Wily Mo Pena and Austin Kearns are right-handed hitters. Randa and Pena are having good seasons. Kearns is in the minors.

Adam Dunn, a left-handed hitter with big-time power, is another possibility.

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/plain...330.xml&coll=2

Rookie ERA
    I think Willy Mo would be a great fit. I doubt he would be as expensive as Dunn or Kearns and would provide a nice bat.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Seems like the Reds bats are being sought out everywhere. As for Willy Mo, I would really hate any deal involving him and I do not think the Indians have much if anything at all in their system that would be good enough for him. Mo is just so raw and could become the biggest power hitter in baseball. That is a huge ceiling. And with the Reds looking for pitching, the Indians just don't seem to have the prospects they need.

Rookie
    Down in Kokomo, where we'll get there fast and then we'll take it slow.
    Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by guybrush77
    I think Willy Mo would be a great fit. I doubt he would be as expensive as Dunn or Kearns and would provide a nice bat.
    Expensive in terms of cost or talent?

If you're talking talent, he's going to cost a hell of a lot without a doubt. They will obviously demand the most for Dunn. But I don't even see the reasoning for trading Pena. Dunn is going to make a ton and the penny pinching Reds won't like that, so I can see that logic. Supposedly, Kearns work ethic is questionable to say the least, again I see the logic. But Pena? He's the youngest, the cheapest and he produces. After the poor free agent signings, I think the Cincy GM will be trigger shy so trading really an unknown in Pena would be kind of shocking to me (his ceiling is an unknown). Dunn seems the most ideal to move if they can get the level of talent back to justify it. I really don't see them giving him a long term contract.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I like your thoughts on this Philly. Seems like you see the Reds way of dealing with things is not always a bright spot for its fans. And I agree that the Reds should not get rid of Pena if at all possible. He is the cheapest option right now and has an unbelievable ceiling. I am not sure that the Reds will sign Dunn LT, but I hope they do. The guy is a franchise type player. So if the Indians want one of the outfielders, it would have to be Kearns. And Kearns should not go cheap, but he probably will.

Rookie ERA
    Well i would like to see them get any of the three Reds bats in the order.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    just combine the Red and Indians into 1 team

AA ERA
    The Rens?

Alou thing is not surprising. San Fran thinks they can win it all next year.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle