Thread: Hafner/ AL Player of the Month!

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Hafner/ AL Player of the Month!

July 06, 2005

Hafner has AL honor and a seat
    Burt Graeff
    Plain Dealer Reporter

Designated hitter Travis Hafner was named the American League’s Player of the Month, which came as no surprise.

Hafner put up some big numbers in June — batting .345 (30-for-87) with 10 doubles, eight home runs and 29 RBI.

The surprise occurred when he looked at the starting lineup for Tuesday night’s game against the Tigers. Hafner’s name was not on it.

The surprise occurred when he looked at the starting lineup for Tuesday night’s game against the Tigers. Hafner’s name was not on it.

“I may take some criticism for not having [Hafner] in the lineup, but I have been looking to get him a day off,” Tribe manager Eric Wedge said.

“His elbow is a maintenance thing. I would rather sacrifice one game for a week.”

Hafner, who has hit safely in 31 of his last 37 games, underwent surgery to remove bone chips in his right elbow in October. He is the first Tribe player to be named the AL’s Player of the Month since Jim Thome was honored in July 2001.

“It’s a great achievement for him,” Wedge said. “He had a fantastic month. The award is really a compliment to everyone around him in the lineup.”

http://www.cleveland.com/index.ssf?/...es/000431.html

Rookie ERA
    Well deserved. Its hard to believe that he didnt make the All Star team either. He will definately be a big guy to look to down the stretch.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Hafner is a name that is not big yet. But he could become a very strong player to help this Indians team play bigtime baseball this season. I agree, this is a well deserved award.