Thread: Adam Miller Facing Surgery

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Indians Adam Miller Facing Surgery

SportingNews.com - Your expert source for MLB Baseball stats, scores, standings, blogs and fantasy news from MLB Baseball columnists

Cleveland Indians reliever Adam Miller is facing career-threatening reconstructive finger surgery if he is unable to find a new way to pitch effectively.

Miller, who underwent surgery on his right middle finger last year, will spend the next seven to 10 days throwing to see if he can command his pitches without pain, Indians trainer Lonnie Soloff said Wednesday. If Miller can't, he will have a procedure where a tendon will be taken from his wrist to reattach the tendon in his finger.
    All the potential might never come about. Its a shame and hopefully one day this kid can pitch but it just doesn't seem like its going to happen. The Indians have been in the Pedro rumors and now it looks like they really need him. Tough break for Miller and I hope all goes well. I would hate to see his career end before it ever got started.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Adam Miller Facing Surgery

Miller was such a touted prospect, I can't imagine how I would feel if I was in his shoes... knowing that my career might be over due to a finger injury. This has been such a lingering problem that I can't see him avoiding surgery for it.

MLB ERA

This is a real shame. He has been considered an excellent prospect. I hope to see him recover completely and reach his potential.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Adam Miller (finger) is scheduled to throw another bullpen session Friday.
    It will be Miller's final chance to prove that he can pitch effectively. If things don't go well, he'll undergo season-ending surgery. According to MLB.com, he's been telling people that he "feels pretty good."
    Hope things go well but I believe they are just delaying the inevitable.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Same here. This is too great of a nagging injury for him to all of a sudden get over it and stay healthy.

MLB ERA

He will undergo the procedure Tuesday, according to an MLB.com story:
    Miller to have season-ending surgery | MLB.com: News
    This is a potential career-ending injury. He will not be allowed to pick up a baseball for about 6 months and rehab should take from 1-3 months after that. Maybe he'll be back next season if all things go well.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

According to Anthony Castrovince of MLB.com, Adam Miller (finger) topped out at about "93 or 94 mph" in the Instructional League.
    Good to hear. Miller was a supplemental first-round pick of the Indians in 2003, but a series of surgeries on his right middle finger have left the once-promising pitching prospect's future in doubt. The right-hander hasn't thrown a professional pitch since the 2008 season. He'll need to stay healthy, which is no given, but Castrovince thinks he could be in major league camp next spring.
    This is great news considering some were saying his career was over. Awesome news for the Indians