Thread: Insert (Kerry) Wood here

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Free Agent Insert (Kerry) Wood here

Two year deal fer Mr. Wood. Sure beats Joe Borowski. I like this, puts Betancourt, Perez, and Kobayashiwhateveri in more normalized roles to stabilize the pen. They have some guys that can really rack up the k's.

CLEVELAND -- The Cleveland Indians are close to getting their closer.
    Kerry Wood

Wood

The club has offered free agent Kerry Wood, the former Chicago Cubs starter-turned-reliever, a two-year contract, a person familiar with the deal told The Associated Press on Tuesday. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the sides are still working through details at the winter meetings in Las Vegas.

A source told ESPN's Peter Gammons, however, that the Indians are still talking to alternatives.

Wood, who has had numerous injury problems in the past, needs to pass a physical before the deal can be completed.

Cleveland went to the meetings hoping to land a closer and did not figure to be in the market for Francisco Rodriguez, who has reached a three-year, $37 million deal with the New York Mets, two people familiar with those talks told the AP. The club instead targeted Wood, who had 34 saves last season for Chicago.

If the deal gets completed, the Indians would be able to move on to other offseason priorities such as finding another starting pitcher or possibly a middle infielder.

Wood, though, would fill their most pressing need. Last season, closer Joe Borowski's early season problems -- he blew four saves in his first 10 tries -- contributed to the Indians' slide. After getting to the ALCS in 2007, Cleveland finished a disappointing 81-81 with much of the blame tagged to its shaky bullpen.

Borowski, who led the AL with 45 saves in 2007, was released in July and the Indians used several pitchers in the closing role, including right-hander Jensen Lewis, who saved 13 games down the stretch. Lewis would move back into a late-inning setup spot if Wood is signed.

Though Wood doesn't throw as hard as he once did, the 30-year-old can still be an intimidating figure on the mound, something the Indians haven't had in recent years. Both Borowski and Bob Wickman relied on off-speed pitches to fool hitters. The 6-foot-5, 220-pound Wood still goes to his fastball when he needs an out.

The only worry about Wood his durability. He has had a long history of injuries and surgeries, which forced the Cubs to move him from their starting rotation to the bullpen in 2007, a switch Wood had to accept to prolong his career.

Wood, who won a career-high 14 games for the Cubs in 2003, lives in Arizona during the offseason and could stay there to train since the Indians recently opened a year-round facility in Goodyear, Ariz.

Peter Gammons covers Major League Baseball for ESPN. Information from The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Of course Wood never stays healthy and this is a little risky but 2 years is not a killer.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

AAA ERA

Re: Insert (Kerry) Wood here

Wood has had zero arm problems as a reliever. I wouldn't be too worried about his health. 4 of his 6 blown saves last year came in April/Early May before he really learned how to close. Once he did, he took off. Wound up taking the NL lead in saves before the blister came about.

I got to see Wood grow more and more comfortable as a closer last year. I don't think he's scratched the surface yet. He's a guy who's shown he can pitch well in the post season. I'll always love my Cubs, but I won't be upset if Wood wins a ring with the Tribe. I'm still a little pissed for the Cubs kicking him to the curb.
    Former GM of...
    S3SL Padres 2017-2030
    SBSL Isotopes 2007-2009
    TSSL Cubs 2006-2018
    TPSL Cubs 2007-2018

08 AL Cy Young: Cliff Lee Pronk48's Avatar
    Rookie ERA

Re: Insert (Kerry) Wood here

I really like this move. He hasn't had arm problems out of the bullpen like Zepplen said, and I like him better than Borowski. You know that with Wood most of the time you're going to get a good performance. With Browski, even though he lead the AL in saves with 45 in 2007, he still scared me every time because it was never 1-2-3 game over.
    Cleveland Indians : 0-5, 5th AL Central
    Pittsburgh Pirates Record: 3-2. 1st NL Central