Thread: The First Of Many

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Indians The First Of Many

Indians exercised infielder Jamey Carroll's $2.5 million option for 2009.
    Reports last week suggested that the Indians were trying to work out an altered deal with Carroll, but they apparently settled on simply sticking with the current option for next season. He hit .277/.355/.346 in 347 at-bats this year and will likely remain in a utility role for 2009.
    The is just the first of what should be many moves for the Indians. I am guessing the Indians couldn't get a deal done for less than the $2.5 million on his option. The Indians have a lot of holes to fill this offseason and have money to get it done.

MLB ERA

Re: The First Of Many

Seems like Carroll just made more money than he should have for a utility player...

Rookie ERA

Oh god, here it comes. Shapiro will talk about all the moves he wants to make and all the holes we need to fill, but in reality, we're going to pick up the options of nobodies (like Jamey Carroll, and just like Borowski and Byrd last year) only to have them be completely worthless. We'll say we're going to target some high profile free-agents and be active in trading, but in reality we'll just sign one unproven, unheard of free agent. (aka Masa Kobayashi.)

While I'd love for us to go out and grab a high profile free agent, perhaps a power hitting corner outfielder or solid starter, I just don't see it happening.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Byrd was actually worth signing.