Thread: Indians deal Sabathia to Brewers

08 AL Cy Young: Cliff Lee Pronk48's Avatar
    Rookie ERA

Trade Indians deal Sabathia to Brewers

Brewers take shot at playoffs with Sabathia deal - MLB - Yahoo! Sports

The Milwaukee Brewers, mired in last place six weeks ago, are now banking on the reigning American League Cy Young winner to lead them to their first playoff appearance in more than a quarter century.

Cleveland Indians ace C.C. Sabathia was traded Sunday afternoon to the Brewers for three minor leaguers, including top prospect Matt LaPorta and third baseman Taylor Green, sources told Yahoo! Sports. The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel first reported the deal.

The trade is contingent on clean medical reports for the players involved.

The Brewers pushed for the trade to happen this week so they could get two starts from Sabathia before the All-Star break, sources said. He is scheduled to debut in Milwaukee on Tuesday against Colorado.

On May 19, the Brewers were 20-24, their season crumbling under lofty expectations. They had lost starter Yovani Gallardo to a knee injury, and executives around baseball called general manager Doug Melvin to inquire about trading for ace Ben Sheets. Since then, the Brewers have gone 29-15 and climbed into a tie for the wild-card lead and are 3 ½ games behind National League Central-leading Chicago.

Sabathia, too, has undergone a renaissance since a poor start. The 27-year-old, who is eligible for free agency after this season and turned down a four-year, $72 million deal from Cleveland, has a 2.16 earned-run average over 104 1/3 innings since April 22. On the season, he is 6-8 with a 3.83 ERA.

LaPorta, drafted out of Florida seventh overall two years ago, was converted from first base to left field and is considered an average-at-best defender. Still, the Indians coveted his bat, and he has hit 20 home runs at Double-A this season.

Cleveland also asked for third baseman Mat Gamel or shortstop Alcides Escobar, but the Brewers did not budge. Had Cleveland not agreed on a deal, Milwaukee was prepared to pursue other available pitchers, such as A.J. Burnett, a source said.
    Wow, to the Brewers!

Well, I sure hope that Taylor Green can play 3rd base because he's going to see a lot of action here with us just evauluated players. However I don't think any of the guys we got will have any impact next year.

We didn't need another outfielder. We're kinda logjammed there right now with Sizemore a star in center field...Fransisco will be next year's full-timer in left, and Guitierrez in right. Then there is Choo who's on the Indians and a first round pick in Crowe in the minors.

I was really hoping for a play-now guy for Sabathia. A guy who could start somewhere next year or start right now.
    Cleveland Indians : 0-5, 5th AL Central
    Pittsburgh Pirates Record: 3-2. 1st NL Central

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Indians deal Sabathia to Brewers

From what I read, LaPorta will likely be a DH/OFer. He will be key if Hafner never turns things around. LaPorta is only in AA now so he might make an impact in 2010. With Blake being a free agent and not getting any younger, they needed a third baseman.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

First of all, I know it is difficult to see on of the better players leave your favorite team, so for that Pronk, I am sorry.

Now with the deal on the table, LaPorta could be in the Indians lineup by year's end or next. He is tearing up AA pitchers, so he is close to being at least in AAA for awhile, and maybe even ready for a September call-up.

Rookie ERA

Thanks for the info BF19. I really hate to see Sabathia go, he's one of my all-time favorite Indians. I just hope we got two guys who will contribute sooner rather than later.

I know the Indians are going to offer Sabathia a contract when he hits free agency, but I think this trade will be in the back of his mind when they do.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Sabathia did turn down a four year, $72 mil deal in spring training.

Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Sabathia did turn down a four year, $72 mil deal in spring training.
    I know he did. I just read that the Indians plan on offering him a contract when he hits free agency. I just think this trade will hurt the Indians even more when it comes to resigning him because I think he will have lost his trust of the orginization.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

I disagree there Pronk, if the $$$$$ is there, he understands that baseball (pro sports) are a business and players always get blind vision or lapsed memories if the $$$$ is there.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Plus they did give him a chance to win a ring.

wow!! thanks cleveland!
    TBSL manager of the Washington Nationals 2010-present
    Former TSSL manager of the Washington Nationals 2019-2020 163-161 .501
    Former TSSL manager of the Toronto Blue Jays 2018-2019 record- 118-206 % .364
    Former CSSL manager of the San Fransisco giants 42-40 % .512

overall record 323-407 pct: .442

www.youtube.com/packersrock58
    christopher_stone_1@msn.com

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Sabathia and Prince Fielder on the same team? Hide the buffet tables! Oh wait, that's right, Prince is vegan.

Anyways, this seems eerily similar to when the Indians traded Bartolo Colon for some prospects. Who were they? Oh yeah, Sizemore, Phillips and Cliff Lee!!!

Rockies Re: Indians deal Sabathia to Brewers

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyKash View Post
    Sabathia and Prince Fielder on the same team? Hide the buffet tables! Oh wait, that's right, Prince is vegan.

Anyways, this seems eerily similar to when the Indians traded Bartolo Colon for some prospects. Who were they? Oh yeah, Sizemore, Phillips and Cliff Lee!!!
    so you're saying this trade is gonna suck for the Brewers?
    TBSL manager of the Washington Nationals 2010-present
    Former TSSL manager of the Washington Nationals 2019-2020 163-161 .501
    Former TSSL manager of the Toronto Blue Jays 2018-2019 record- 118-206 % .364
    Former CSSL manager of the San Fransisco giants 42-40 % .512

overall record 323-407 pct: .442

www.youtube.com/packersrock58
    christopher_stone_1@msn.com

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

If the Brewers make it to the playoffs for the first time since 1982, it will not suck. Teams will see that Melvin and the Brewers are willing to do what it takes to win. If both Sheets and Sabathia leave after the season, the Brewers get five or six draft picks to help build back their system.