CLEVELAND (AP)—Joe Borowski couldn’t escape a trip to the disabled list.

The Cleveland Indians’ much-maligned closer was placed on the 15-day disabled list Tuesday, a day after blowing a save and giving up a two-run homer in the ninth inning to Boston’s Manny Ramirez in a 6-4 loss to the Red Sox.

The club said Borowski, who led the AL with 45 saves last season, has a strained triceps. He had been puzzled by a significant loss in his velocity before being examined by doctors.

“It’s driving me crazy,” Borowski said after Monday’s blown save, his second straight. “I’m grasping at straws. Maybe it’s something. Maybe it’s nothing.”

The club recalled right-hander Tom Mastny from Triple-A Buffalo.

With Borowski out, Indians manager Eric Wedge most likely will turn to Rafael Betancourt as his closer. Betancourt was one of baseball’s top setup men last season, going 5-1 with a 1.47 ERA in 68 games. He had three saves in 2007 and has 12 career saves.

Last week, Borowski gave up a game-winning grand slam in the ninth inning to Los Angeles outfielder Torii Hunter.

He got off to a bad start against the Red Sox when Julio Lugo ripped a fastball down the left-field line for a leadoff double. After a sacrifice, David Ortiz blooped a single to left and up came Ramirez, who crushed Borowski’s first pitch.

It registered just 83 mph on the radar gun, and it was so slow Ramirez wasn’t sure if it was a fastball or changeup.

“I had nothing,” Borowski said.

The 36-year-old reliever led the league in saves last season despite a 5.07 ERA. It was rare if he retired the side in order. More often than not, Borowski pitched himself into trouble and then had to find a way out of his self-imposed mess.

Borowski signed as a free agent with Cleveland in 2006 after making 36 saves the previous season for Florida. The Indians picked up his $4 million option shortly after the season.
I hope that the triceps is the problem if we're gonna keep him on the team, because these last two blown saves have really made me lose all faith in Borowski.

I sure hope Bentancourt can come in and close out some games in the next 15 days. If so, I say release Borowski and let Bentancourt be the new Indians closer.