Thread: Cleveland Indians infielder Andy Marte makes a case for being on big club's roster

Indians Cleveland Indians infielder Andy Marte makes a case for being on big club's roster

If Andy Marte didn't make the Indians' 25-man roster Saturday afternoon, it's going to be hard to explain.

Marte, with an assist from the wind, hit two homers and drove in six runs as the Indians beat a split-squad Houston Astros team, 14-6, at Chain of Lakes Park. Marte hit a three-run homer off Jack Cassel in the first inning and a two-run homer off Runelvys Hernandez in the fifth. He added a sacrifice fly in the sixth and walked in his other two plate appearances.

He leads the Indians with four homers, three of them coming in the past two days.

Marte was the designated hitter after taking about "200 ground balls" at third base on one of the minor-league fields before the game.

Manager Eric Wedge has not been happy with Marte's play at third. Besides leading the Indians in homers, he's tied for the team lead in errors with second baseman Asdrubal Cabrera, at three each.

"I'll take 200 ground balls every day if I can have a game like that," Marte said.

Marte, whose natural position is third, is trying to make the Indians as a utility player. He's played first base this spring and has taken fly balls in the outfield.

The Indians are trying to squeeze him on the roster because he's out of minor-league options. They don't want to repeat the mistake they made with second baseman Brandon Phillips, who has played well after the Indians gave up on him and traded him to the Cincinnati Reds on April 7, 2006.

Asked if he needed a day like Saturday's to convince the Tribe to keep him, Marte said, "Anybody can use a day like that."

"He had good at-bats today," Wedge said. "I was just as impressed with the at-bats where he walked as I was with the swings he had."
    cleveland.com: Everything Cleveland

MLB ERA

Re: Cleveland Indians infielder Andy Marte makes a case for being on big club's roste

He is getting too good to send down, but is he ready to play 3B regularly?
    The Indians have a glut of good young hitters and no place to play them regularly. Pronk gets the ABs as the DH, and these guys have to show they can field a position to make it.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Cleveland Indians infielder Andy Marte makes a case for being on big club's roste

I hope the Giants are taking a good look at him this spring. There were rumors this offseason about Marte and the Giants. Marte would be a better investment than Crede who is having a terrible spring and coming off back surgery. Indians don't appear to want to shop him but I can dream.

08 AL Cy Young: Cliff Lee Pronk48's Avatar
    Rookie ERA

If he can stop booting balls at 3B, then he's our third baseman of the future.

One thing is for sure, he can't be sent down to the minors (out of options).
    Cleveland Indians : 0-5, 5th AL Central
    Pittsburgh Pirates Record: 3-2. 1st NL Central

MLB ERA

He can be sent down, but he has to clear waivers to do so. I don't believe some of the AL teams that need a DH would allow that, though, and even a few that just need a 3B would claim him.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    He can be sent down, but he has to clear waivers to do so. I don't believe some of the AL teams that need a DH would allow that, though, and even a few that just need a 3B would claim him.
    I realize that he can be sent down if he cleared waivers, but I know the Indians won't chance it. If he doesn't pan out this year, I don't think he will be on the team next year.

He can barley play third base defensivly, so he's damn sure not a utlity guy if he can't field his natural position. If he can't be a utility guy, and he can't handle his fielding position, then after this year he's a waste of a roster spot IMHO.

Hell, we already have two of those in Jason Michaels and David Delluci.

MLB ERA

Like I said, the Indians are set at the DH spot. Marte has to improve in the field.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Giants were looking at Marte to possibly move across the diamond and play first. Maybe a Marte/Garko combo at first is possible.

Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    The Giants were looking at Marte to possibly move across the diamond and play first. Maybe a Marte/Garko combo at first is possible.
    Not gonna happen, especially if they Tribe is planning on having Soppach catch Byrd every five days and putting Martinez at first on those days.

I like Garko's bat too much to sit him for an unproven Marte. I don't like sitting him every fifth day for Martinez when Garko's on a hot streak at the plate.