Thread: Indians new uniforms go back to the future

08 AL Cy Young: Cliff Lee Pronk48's Avatar
    Rookie ERA

Indians new uniforms go back to the future

CLEVELAND -- The Indians aren't expected to make many changes to their team for 2008, but their uniforms are another matter entirely.
    What's old will be new again when the Tribe takes the field for its March 31, 2008, season opener against the White Sox. On that day, the Indians will be wearing a retro-looking uniform that was unveiled by the club Monday.

Though the Indians' regular uniforms received just minor tweaking, their alternate outfits -- set to be used on Opening Day, Saturday and Sunday home games (from June 13 on) and home holidays -- are a major departure from the vests that are being left behind.

A crème-colored tone, block "Indians" lettering on the front chest, Chief Wahoo logo on the left sleeve and dark navy blue cap with a vintage block "C" highlight the new uniform.

The block lettering harkens back to the 1960s, the coloring is similar to that of the late 1940s and the block "C" is reminiscent of the early 1900s.

And in keeping with the old-school approach, the alternate uniforms will not include a player's name on the back.

General manager Mark Shapiro actually had some input into the design of the retro uniforms, and he garnered input from some of the Tribe's players.

"They are uniforms we think are reflective of our team's personality," Shapiro said. "They are throwback uniforms, and we have a throwback team, to some extent."

The Indians, not so coincidentally, announced the uniform changes just in time for the holiday shopping season. The new alternate jerseys will be available for purchase online at MLB.com or Indians.com and in the Indians team shops, beginning Friday.

"This is a must-have for all Indians fans this upcoming holiday season," said Curtis Danburg, the Indians' manager of communications and creative services. "The Indians team shops and MLB.com have an exclusive window to sell this new product."

Friday is also the day that tickets go on sale for the March 31 opener, as well as the remainder of that three-game series against the White Sox. Select Pepsi Six Packs ticket packages will go on sale Friday at 10 a.m. ET.

Tickets can be purchased at Indians.com, at the team shops, by calling (866) 48-TRIBE or by visiting Ticketmaster outlets.

This is the first change to the Indians' uniforms since 2002. The only changes to the traditional home white and road gray uniforms is the absence of the silver accent coloring on the cap's Chief Wahoo logo and the piping on the jersey and pant.

The alternate road navy uniform will be combined for the first time with the navy blue script "I" hat, rather than the Chief Wahoo cap.

Anthony Castrovince is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
    I like it.
    Cleveland Indians : 0-5, 5th AL Central
    Pittsburgh Pirates Record: 3-2. 1st NL Central

MLB ERA

Re: Indians new uniforms go back to the future

"For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."