Thread: Official Cleveland Indians Offseason Thread

08 AL Cy Young: Cliff Lee Pronk48's Avatar
    Rookie ERA

Official Cleveland Indians Offseason Thread

Okay, I have hidden long enough, time to get down to business, offseason business.

There are two big things looming for Indians managment this offseason:

1. Try to sign C.C. Sabathia to a multi-year deal. After the 2008 baseball season, Sabathia will be an unrestricted free agent. If he gets to free agency, unless he'll give the Indians a discount or the Dolans open up the checkbook, Sabathia will be loooong gone. Especially if he has another season like this past one, and even more if he pitches well next postseason.

2. Make a desicion on Kenny Lofton. He'll be a free agent after the World Series. Do we sign him to a semi-long contract (2-3 years), sign him to a 1 year deal, or just let him walk? We have Choo and Ben Fransisco chomping at the bit and I think one of them will man left field.

They also have to prepare for the MLB Draft, the Rule 5 Draft, set the budget for 2008.

Another thing is they have to make a desicion on third baseman Andy Marte. He is out of minor league options so the Indians have to either let him play 3B rather he's good or not, let him develop on the major league roster therefore taking a spot from someone more deserving, or designate him to the minors and hope he clears wavers. They can also cut him or trade him.
    Cleveland Indians : 0-5, 5th AL Central
    Pittsburgh Pirates Record: 3-2. 1st NL Central

Rookie ERA

Re: Official Cleveland Indians Offseason Thread

The Indians exercise their $7.5M option on Paul Byrd for 2008, even though he admits to using HGH.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Good move by the Indians.. He is a good and reliable starter to have on a team's roster.

Rookie ERA

Yeah, I don't see him being punished. Legally, they can't punish him if it wasn't agaisnt the rules. And since it was prescribed by a doctor for medical reasons, it was legit use. It's not like he's firing the ball in there at 96 MPH. I don't think he threw a pitch that went over 85 MPH in the playoffs, and I think his fastest pitch all season was clocked at a whopping 87 MPH.

I am glad to have him back, that's for sure. It just makes me wonder about next years rotation:

C.C. Sabathia
    Fausto Carmona
    Jake Westbrook
    Cliff Lee
    Paul Byrd

That leaves Jeremy Sowers and Aaron Laffey out of the mix.

MLB ERA

I, personally, would rather see the Indians use Sowers out of the bullpen for a year or 2 just to see what they have there. Cliff Lee and Paul Byrd may or may not be around after next season. Laffey should get his work in Buffalo and work on specific things to make him a better pitcher. I'm not sure just what sort of stuff he has, but he's young and should get his innings in. Let him develop for another year.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon