Thread: Cleveland Indians: 2007 CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPIONS

08 AL Cy Young: Cliff Lee Pronk48's Avatar
    Rookie ERA

Cleveland Indians: 2007 CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPIONS

CLEVELAND (AP) -- From shoveling snow to spraying champagne.

The Cleveland Indians, who slipped and slid around April's home opener during a freakish spring storm, capped an unforgettable season at Jacobs Field on Sunday with a sun-soaked championship.

Jake Westbrook struck out a career-high nine and Grady Sizemore had four hits as the Indians, fourth-place finishers a year ago, clinched their first AL Central title since 2001 with a 6-2 win over the Oakland Athletics.

The Indians became the second team in the majors to clinch. The Boston Red Sox assured themselves of at least the AL wild-card spot Saturday night.

When reliever Rafael Betancourt struck out Oakland's Mark Ellis for the final out and his second save, the crowd of 40,250 erupted as one and the right-hander jumped into catcher Victor Martinez's arms as the Indians poured onto the infield to celebrate.

Moments later, led by ace C.C. Sabathia, the club walked to center field and watched as a 2007 championship banner was hoisted atop the center-field scoreboard.

Overlooked as a contender in one of baseball's toughest divisions, the Indians overcame a strange start and recaptured a crown they won six times in seven years from 1995-2001.

But for these Indians, little went as planned.

Their first homestand in April was postponed by snow, forcing the club to play three "home" games in Milwaukee's Miller Park against the Los Angeles Angels. Three other games against Seattle were made up at the Jake.

Technically, Cleveland still has one "home" game remaining -- on Wednesday, 2,000 miles away at Seattle's Safeco Field as part of a doubleheader with the Mariners.

The Indians, who finished 18 games behind Detroit last year, began 2007 with question marks around the diamond. They moved into first place on Aug. 15, stayed there by going 27-9 and running away from the defending AL champion Tigers, and now have a chance to finish with the best record in the majors.

And while much of their lineup looks as it did in April, the Indians made some major changes to snap them out of a midseason slump that threatened to spoil a season filled with thrilling comebacks.

Rookie second baseman Asdrubal Cabrera, one of three players who began the season at Double-A Akron, became a spark after Josh Barfield was benched. The Indians also got unexpected contributions from reliever Rafael Perez and outfielders Franklin Gutierrez and Ben Francisco.

The guys Cleveland was counting on came through, too.

Sabathia, a rookie in '01, developed into a Cy Young candidate and anchored a strong pitching staff that included 18-game Fausto Carmona, who went 1-10 as a rookie and had a disastrous tryout as a closer last season. He was only on the staff because of injuries to Westbrook and Cliff Lee.

Paul Byrd bounced back from a subpar year to win 15 games and Cleveland's bullpen, a nightmarish collection in recent years, finally solidified behind Betancourt and Joe Borowski, who only got the job because Keith Foulke retired before reporting to training camp.

While not equal to the powerful lineups in New York or Boston, the Indians have balance, depth and timing. Martinez was an All-Star and the club's steadiest hitter all season, and his power numbers helped compensate for designated hitter Travis Hafner's unexpected decline.

Cleveland has 43 come-from-behind wins, including 13 in their final at-bat at home.

The late-inning heroics also prompted a new tradition at the Jake as Trot Nixon would surprise teammates being interviewed on TV following home wins with a whipped-cream pie to the face.

"We are a team -- in the truest sense of the word," manager Eric Wedge said. "In how they go about their business and how they win and how they care about each other, and that's a credit to everybody in that locker room.

"These guys do a good job of walking the walk. They don't just talk about it. They live it."

After failing to clinch before a sellout crowd on Saturday, the Indians didn't want to disappoint on Fan Appreciation Day.

Cleveland scored four runs in the fourth and opened a 6-0 lead against Dallas Braden (1-8).

Jhonny Peralta and Jason Michaels singled to open the fourth and both scored when Casey Blake, whose 11th-inning homer against Detroit on Monday sealed the Tigers' fate, hit a double.

Sizemore followed with an RBI triple and came in when Cabrera singled.

The six-run cushion was plenty for Westbrook (6-9), who along with Sabathia and Kenny Lofton are the only players still around from '01 when the club last made the postseason.

Westbrook allowed a two-run homer to rookie Daric Barton in seven innings and won for the first time since Aug. 28.

If the Indians were feeling any pressure it didn't show as they slipped into their white jerseys beforehand.

Blake dug out a favorite videocassette of pitching coach Carl Willis getting plunked on the knee with a ball while conducting a clinic for high school pitchers a few years back. The sight of Willis crumpling and his off-camera comments had the Indians, who had gathered around the clubhouse's big-screen TV, howling in laughter.

Sabathia played a game of catch in the outfield grass with his 4-year-old son, C.C. III.

The Indians took a 2-0 lead in the second off Braden, who was filling in for the injured Rich Harden. Michaels hit an RBI groundout and Sizemore fisted a run-scoring single with two outs.

Notes

Barton has reached base safely in all 13 games since being recalled from Triple-A Sacramento on Sept. 10. ... Oakland, which will not finish with a winning record for the first time in nine seasons, has lost 18 of 28.
    It was just so awesome seeing Victor leap for joy after Bentancourt struck out Ellis to end the game.

Now it's a race for the best record in the AL, and with Boston's loss I think the Indians are a 1/2 game up in that race.

GO TRIBE!
    Cleveland Indians : 0-5, 5th AL Central
    Pittsburgh Pirates Record: 3-2. 1st NL Central

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: Cleveland Indians: 2007 CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPIONS

Congrats to the Indians and all of their fans.

Rookie ERA

Re: Cleveland Indians: 2007 CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPIONS

Man this is a great feeling. This feels better than when the Cavs went to the Finals!

MLB ERA

Congrats to you guys, watching the Indians play this year reminded me of those mid 90s Indian teams, with Mann-Ram, Thome, Vizquel, Alomar brothers, Lofton, they were loaded, I have watched this team grow since all these young players were called, and just wow I hope Cleveland can keep this young nucleus together for years to come and Cleveland can be a team that can contend for years to come.

Rookie ERA

I have a feeling that the next 5-10 years Cleveland will be at war with Detroit and Chicago baseball AND basketball wise.

Bench Warmer
    Rookie ERA

Congrats, man. I'm fine with anything not White Sox.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Congrats to the Indians. They are one of my favorite teams in the AL mostly because of the movie Major League Just kidding. Like Giantsfan said it was fun to watch the Indians in the 90's from Albert Belle to Jim Thome to guys like Sizemore and Hafner. They are the hottest team going in right now despite what Yankee fans think. They have a lot going for them and I think they have a good shot at a WS appearance.

MLB ERA

Congrats to the Tribe.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

They were more fun to watch when they trotted out the following batting lineup:

Lofton
    Vizquel
    Alomar
    Ramirez
    Thome
    Sexson
    Justice
    Fryman
    Alomar Jr.

Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk View Post
    They were more fun to watch when they trotted out the following batting lineup:

Lofton
    Vizquel
    Alomar
    Ramirez
    Thome
    Sexson
    Justice
    Fryman
    Alomar Jr.
    Those were the days. Oh boy, those were the days.

But I really love this current Tribe team. The come from behind victories...the walk offs...the comraderie...the blue collar grit.

MLB ERA

Congrats to the Indians and their impressive year. I really hope the Yankees get to play the Indians first round in the playoffs though.. (no offensive)
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM