Thread: Indians Get Barfield

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Indians Get Barfield

The Indians have reportedly acquired Josh Barfield from the Padres for third baseman Kevin Kouzmanoff and right-hander Andrew Brown.
    It's stunning that the Padres would give up Barfield for two lesser talents, even if this is some sort of sign they're close to acquiring Marcus Giles. Kouzmanoff is older than Barfield by a year and a half and has had injury issues in his past. He'll probably take over as the Padres' third baseman, but he doesn't project to be much better than average. While we've always been fans of Brown, his command was pretty awful last season and his strikeout rate was well down in Triple-A. Also, he's out of options. Barfield isn't likely to develop into a star, but the Indians are doing well here.
    What a steal for the Indians as they get a young secon baseman with a lot more potential. They filled one of their needs on the cheap side. Marte, Peralta and Barfield make for one young and exciting infield.

MLB ERA
    Well, Kouzmanoff got back on everyone's radar with his past season. I could see his potential as being high enough to justify trading a player like Barfield, who's ceiling is 'good.'

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Barfield's "good" is better than anything Kouzmanoff has esecially in Petco.

Quote Originally Posted by Saber
    Well, Kouzmanoff got back on everyone's radar with his past season. I could see his potential as being high enough to justify trading a player like Barfield, who's ceiling is 'good.'
    Exactly.

MLB ERA
    I believe he was saying he agreed with the post.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    What a steal for the Indians as they get a young secon baseman with a lot more potential. They filled one of their needs on the cheap side. Marte, Peralta and Barfield make for one young and exciting infield.
    I'm not sure this is a "steal" for the Indians, but it is a great move. Barfield has become a very good player in a short time, and the Pads may get the 3B that they need to move to the next level.
    I like this move for both teams, as they are both a lot better after it.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

08 AL Cy Young: Cliff Lee Pronk48's Avatar
    Rookie ERA
    I'm glad we got him...I just hope Peralta plays well this season.
    Cleveland Indians : 0-5, 5th AL Central
    Pittsburgh Pirates Record: 3-2. 1st NL Central