Thread: Wedge has no plan to keep Carmona at the ML level once Sabathia returns

Wedge has no plan to keep Carmona at the ML level once Sabathia returns

Link

Detroit- Fausto Carmona's impressive big-league debut Saturday has not made manager Eric Wedge greedy.

Some managers already would be plotting ways to keep Carmona in the big leagues when C.C. Sabathia comes off the disabled list. It would be hard to fit Carmona in the rotation once Sabathia is healthy, but he could be placed in the bullpen, while being groomed as a starter.

"Right now we have no plans of putting Fausto in the bullpen," said Wedge. "He has another start coming up. We have to see how C.C. is coming along, and we'll go from there."

Carmona will start Thursday against Baltimore at Camden Yards.

Wedge feels Carmona can help the Indians more as a starter whether it's in Cleveland or Class AAA Buffalo.

"We've already seen the value of that," said Wedge.

After Sabathia was injured in the season opener against Chicago, the Indians didn't need a fifth starter until Saturday. Carmona arrived from Buffalo and beat the Tigers, 7-2, with six impressive innings of work.
    Right move by Wedge? Thoughts?

MLB ERA
    He's gotta put CC back in the Rotation. I seem to agree that putting him in the Minors as a starter is much better then having him relieve. He's worth more as a starter.

So I guess that you wouldn't like the fact that Leyland is putting Zumaya as a RP this year, yet he's a future SP for us.

I like seeing young SP pitching relief, because it just gives them a feel of the ML talent even if it's in doses of 1 or 2 innings. It'll make them better SPs in the future.

Yah, Carmona can't be put in the rotation once Sabathia returns, but Carmona pitching in relief, isn't too bad of an idea.

MLB ERA
    Well Zumaya is a different case, he's so exceptionally good he could thrive anywhere, simialr to Papelbon. Carmona isn't as polished as either Zumaya or Papelbon, both of whom will start next year after the aged starters retire. (Kenny Rogers, David Wells)

I wouldn't exactly count on Rogers retiring. He's been pitching well this season, and he looks like he still has gas in that arm of his. He'll probably retire after next season. I would actually rather see Robertson pitch relief next season, with Zumaya moving into the rotation.

MLB ERA
    OK, but unless Zumaya catches fire in a bottle, they're gonna move him inot the rotation.

Huh?

Check out Zumaya stats as of late. Watch him pitch. The kid is on fire, and he'd be ready to go into the rotation now if one of our SPs were to get injured.

Yesterday he was showing great control and velocity.

08 AL Cy Young: Cliff Lee Pronk48's Avatar
    Rookie ERA
    I think it's the right move.

But I think sometime this year we'll see Carmona and/or Sowers up here if not in the rotation,in the pen.

And personally,I wouldn't mind seeing Carmona in the pen as the long reliever soon if nobody can step up and pitch 2 or 3 innings of relief without sucking.

Next year though,Carmona will be in the rotation along with Sowers.
    Cleveland Indians : 0-5, 5th AL Central
    Pittsburgh Pirates Record: 3-2. 1st NL Central