Thread: Stratton gets surgery today/ Reds outfield plans unchanged

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Stratton gets surgery today/ Reds outfield plans unchanged

Louisville's Stratton on shelf
    To have surgery to repair torn Achilles' tendon

By John Fay and Kevin Kelly
    Enquirer staff writer

If the Reds were considering trading outfielders Wily Mo Pena or Austin Kearns - and general manager Dan O'Brien says they weren't - that move has become a lot riskier.

Rob Stratton, the star of spring training, injured his Achilles' tendon Thursday running before Louisville's game. He'll have surgery today to repair the partial tear.

Stratton was hitting .308 with four home runs and five RBI in eight games for Triple-A Louisville. He would have been the first outfielder to be called up in the event of an injury.

With him out for the foreseeable future, the Reds don't have a solid Plan B if an outfielder or first baseman Sean Casey gets hurt.

O'Brien said nothing had changed as far as the outfield plans at the major-league level.

That is to say the Reds are unlikely to trade Pena, Kearns, Adam Dunn or Ken Griffey Jr.

Kenny Kelly, Jason Romano and Stephen Smitherman are getting the outfield at-bats in Louisville. Kelly has one big-league at-bat. Romano has a .193 average in 161 at-bats. And Smitherman has a .159 average in 44 big-league at-bats.

Stratton, 27, has never played in the big leagues but he redefined himself as a hitter after going to a no-stride approach.

Some more on Hudson's recovery, Pena's hot streak, and Coffey's callup:
    http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...90393/1071/spt

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I thought that it would really hurt us with Stratton's recent injury. And no doubt it will. But I wonder if it really is an effect on future deals. He is such a talent that he would make it a lot easier for us to make a deal.

Also, I hope Hudson does make it back soon. He seems to be on a fast track. Hopefully we will hear about a sim game real soon. We need Ortiz back, and Claussen to have another outing to see where he is really at.

MLB ERA
    I really don't think losing Stratton will affect a possible trade of an outfielder.

Personally, I still think the team should think ot trading an outfielder, but I don't know if they will.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    It stinks that Stratton got injured. I hate to say it, but I bet he is thinking if he was called up like he deserved to be, then none of this would of happened.

And I am very excited to hear about Hudson, maybe we will see him in the next few weeks.