Thread: who gets the final bullpen spot?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

who gets the final bullpen spot?

There are three open spots with four pitchers chasing after those spots.

First we have Matt Belisle. I believe he is a lock because everyone in the system has said plenty of good things about him. He could be used in a long-relief/spot-starter role. And he could also help out in closing games. He has everything you need to come in and pitch at any point in the game. The best part about him is he is young and should be looking to improve.

Next we have Todd Coffey. He is another lock in my opinion as I believe the FO is higher on him as a future closer than Wagner. He has worked extremely hard the last few years and just needs a little more seasoning. I look for him to be in a middle-relief role.

The other two pitchers after the last spot will be Mike Burns and Ryan Wagner. Both have pitched very well this spring. Wagner is looked at as a guy who can help out in the future and Burns was likely signed on to help now. Which pitcher would be best suited to take that final spot?

AA ERA
    Well, personally, I would go with Wagner. But also I would make him the closer. I think the Reds will end up going with Burns. They will probably send Wagner to Louisville to be the closer there. But I think Wagner has more than earned his spot on the Reds roster this spring.

Wagner was rushed too fast to the majors by Bowden.

He needs to go back to the minors and mature. If not, we could have Todd Van Poppel #2 on our hands.

MLB ERA
    He's a reliever and staying in the minors isn't going to make him any better. He performed great his first year and struggled with control in 2004. Last year, people seem to forget that he was going great until Miley overworked him (He was on pace for nearly 100 appearances), and then he fell apart when he had shoulder problems. He should be the closer and he should be the closer now.