Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Reds vs. Cubs Game 2

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21
    Is it April or August? I know you like the Cards, so do I.... but a lot can happen from here to then. I wouldn't say anyone is rolling to a division title this early.

Anyway, quick thoughts before I go:
    1) Claussen, minus the one inning looked promising. It was a bad outing overall true but two things there was positive, he's got the strikout pitches working and he had control. His control looked WAY better than last year. We can just chalk this shaky start up to be rusty I imagine.
    2) Poor Griffey. He's hit them hard tonight and had enough height, just lacked a few feet in length. I think he is going to start hitting them soon though, his bat speed looked pretty good against the heat.
    3) No strikeouts for Wily Mo versus Prior. Prior being a righty with lethal stuff I was concerned to see him get Wily 2 or 3 times via K.
    I think they're rollling in that direction. That is my opinion. How about responding to someone who makes a ridiculously and easily to prove false statement next time?

I think Claussen looked awful tonight. I thought he would be awful before the game and he was. I wonder if he'll start again in a few days? If so, that's likely another loss as we slip further beyond the 1.5 games out of 1st we are now.

Wily Mo has looked awful tonight. That is what scares me about him starting all of the time... him doing NOTHING when not hitting HR.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    And I am done with this thread for tonight. Gang up mode is in full effect. I stated an opinion and was questioned with no facts, but just hate for a trend regarding a team that just gets more and more divisional titles year after year with the insanely good GM they have in place.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I think Claussen did well for a rusty start. Also, Mo has been doing other things than homers of late too. After today's win, we will be still at the top of the standings. Thats what you meant right CRF?

MLB ERA
    No, I'm afraid I don't see a comeback from a 7-1 deficit.

Cards/Pirates update:

7-1 Cards... Bot. 8th.

Matt Morris returned to the Cards' rotation with a dominating performance:

6 IP, 1 ER, 4 hits, 1 BB, 7 K's

I wish we could get a lot of performances like that.

They've also had some stellar relief work from Ray King and Reyes.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    I think they're rollling in that direction. That is my opinion. How about responding to someone who makes a ridiculously and easily to prove false statement next time?

I think Claussen looked awful tonight. I thought he would be awful before the game and he was. I wonder if he'll start again in a few days? If so, that's likely another loss as we slip further beyond the 1.5 games out of 1st we are now.

Wily Mo has looked awful tonight. That is what scares me about him starting all of the time... him doing NOTHING when not hitting HR.
    The season in baseball is a marathon. The Cards are a great team and have a great chance, I won't deny that. But to give up hope this early isn't fun to me. I wasn't trying to prove you wrong. I know I have said this a million times but I'll say it again, I am not against you. I just hate to see people get so down and I was trying to remind you we got a lot of baseball left. You're a great passionate fan CRF who loves the game take these early games in stride. At least at this point no one is truly running away with the division, if the Reds do play poorly the next month, then we'll have plenty of time to be upset. Still anyone's division at this point.

On Claussen, 3 ER in 5 IP with the amount of hits he gave up isnt good, I already said that. But I liked the K's and the no walks. If Claussen is ever going to be successful, his control will need to be improved, just trying to find a bright spot I guess. But yeah, it was a bad outing overall.

Nothing? Didn't Wily Mo hit a double? A bullet if I recall into leftfield. I'll take a double and no K's versus Prior for Wily Mo anyday.

MLB ERA
    Pena hit a double... I'm still not sold on him based on what I've seen from him. I'm just not.

And I'm sorry, but I can't help but getting frustrated. All of the signs are already there that this pitching staff just isn't going to get it done this year. Wilson has struggled... so has Claussen now.

We need to get more performances like Matt Morris gave the Cards tonight. Otherwise, we'll see the Cards run away with the division very quickly.

I just don't like the fact that we can't seem to score runs as well as we should be doing... to go with the iffy pitching staff.

(BTW... looks like our Wild Card lead will be gone after tonight... as the Marlins will overtake us)

Another Edit: Marty and Steve are discussing how impressed by the Cards they are... and their 1.5 game lead on the Reds. They are impressed they are beating the Brewers/Pirates as they are "supposed" to and that teams that are supposed to be good as they were have to do that.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    Pena hit a double... I'm still not sold on him based on what I've seen from him. I'm just not.

And I'm sorry, but I can't help but getting frustrated. All of the signs are already there that this pitching staff just isn't going to get it done this year. Wilson has struggled... so has Claussen now.

We need to get more performances like Matt Morris gave the Cards tonight. Otherwise, we'll see the Cards run away with the division very quickly.

I just don't like the fact that we can't seem to score runs as well as we should be doing... to go with the iffy pitching staff.
    I don't expect you to be sold on Wily Mo, but you have to admit the strides he has made. All I ask is for you to give him a chance, he's 23 and still learning the game he will have his ups and his down but he's got a bright future if he can continue to progress. Hopefully he can get you on the bandwagon by the end of the season.

I agree it is frustrating. We're in a pitching rich division for the most part and it will be something that will be troublesome for us if our starters cannot give QS's at least. Hopefully if Claussen continues to struggle, we'll get Hudson back soon. Any word on his return? Morris could be a surprise (bad one for us) if he is the Morris of old.

And scoring runs against Prior is tough, espicially with guys like Aurilia in the lineup.

MLB ERA
    I hope Hudson is back soon. I really don't know if Claussen will ever cut it. I don't know if he'll be back soon though.

MLB ERA
    Cubs win 7-1
    Cards win 7-1

Aurilia (0-4)--- will he start against Perez tomorrow night?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I wonder if Pena or Kearns will start tomorrow. If anything they should give the day off to Jr. or Dunn with Perez on the mound.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Thats the ball game! I really am not too disapointed with the loss though. I have been upset in all other games that we were losing, but tonight is different. I know I am still thankful for last night's game, but there is more to it for tonight. Prior pitched well so we could not get many hits. But we really hit the ball very hard, it just was not our night. The pitching that lost it was Claussen and Coffey. Both making their debut tonight. Claussen has not thrown in live action for a little over half a month so he was rusty no doubt. But he still did better as the game went on. Coffey, on the other hand, may have been nervous in his MLB debut tonight is all. I expect both of these guys to do well for us in future games. So we took one from the Cubs and that was all we were asking for from the series thread. We did it, and now we concentrate on the Pirates. We ask for one, and hope for both! Heres to tomorrow.

MVP: Dunn. I really liked his approach again tonight.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21
    I wonder if Pena or Kearns will start tomorrow. If anything they should give the day off to Jr. or Dunn with Perez on the mound.

I think both Pena and Kearns start with Dunn tomorrow. Junior is getting his swing back, but Dunn has just been on a tear. And as mentioned, one of them will have to sit.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    perez is human, dude. we beat him up pretty good on friday (too bad zambrano and bullpen couldnt shut down the pirates), so you guys should be able to score off perez since your lineup is better than ours by a pretty large margin. he hasnt been very good this year.

BTW, it looked like prior sneaked his leg in before the tag. close play, but i thought he got it in.

prior just looked filthy tonight, and bartosh closed it out pretty well. i'm NEVER comfortable only scoring 4 or 5 runs against you guys which is why im glad we scored 7.

MLB ERA
    I hope we are asking for both games against the Pirates. If we split a bunch of series at home, I don't like our chances of competing this year.

MVP: Dunn and Freel for me

Casey is (11-22) vs. Perez, BTW. I hope Griffey or Pena sits against Perez.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Hey congrats on the win rockin! Thanks for the update on Perez as well. But we are nervous just the same because he is so dominant against the Reds lineup it is sickening. All his great numbers last season came from facing the Reds. Well most of it at least.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast