Veteran relievers get the job done

By Kevin Kelly
Enquirer staff writer

The Reds spent $3.1 million on the trio for nights like this.

Four runs down. The starting pitcher already out of the game. And six innings left to play.

"With our offense," Reds relief pitcher Kent Mercker said, "if you can hold them over the last six you've got a chance to win."

Targets of some early season criticism, bullpen veterans Ben Weber, David Weathers and Mercker did precisely what they were hired to do Monday.

The three relievers held the Cubs scoreless for five innings while the Reds' offense played catch-up and eventually took the lead during a 7-6 win.

"Some of those guys have been struggling a bit," manager Dave Miley said. "They went out there and kept putting zeroes up for us to give us an opportunity.

"If we give up a couple of runs . . . in that area things could've been a lot different."

Weber and Weathers were the first out of the bullpen in relief of Reds starter Matt Belisle, who left after the third inning with the Cubs leading 5-1.

The combined ERA of Weber and Weathers entering the game was 11.17 with 17 hits allowed in 92/3 total innings.

Weber pitched two innings Monday and allowed two singles. Weathers struck out two of the four Cubs batters he faced.

"I've started out April and set the world on fire and wound up like trash," Weathers said. "And I've started April off slow and then finished up great.

"You've got to take it for what it is . . . Tonight I went out there and battled their hitters."

As did Mercker.

The left-hander was coming off a blown save Sunday. All he did Monday was retire the Cubs in order during his two innings.

"You hear the rumblings of how the new guys haven't been doing well, that (the Reds) signed these guys to get people out," Mercker said. "In the bullpen things can get magnified . . .

"Nobody is panicking at all."