Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hatteberg is the answer

MLB ERA
    I wasn't aware the .883 OPS he put up with the Marlins was failing.

Casey>Choi>Hatteberg

Overpaid crap/crap/crap

The bottomline is crap is crap in any form.

MLB ERA
    Only in dumbass land.

I guess you haven't checked out that website yet.

MLB ERA
    that was in 95 games. in 2005 he hit .253 in 133 games with a .789 OPS, .336 OBP.

15 hr's 42 rbi's.

NO production.

i agree with cincy here. choi is nothing to be excited about. he's no upgrade. he has horrible eye, mediocre talent.

crap crap and crap
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

AA ERA
    And he has also already failed potential wise with 3 teams.
    Well, I think most of these guys are saying that Choi is a better solution at 1B rather than Hatteberg because at 27 he can still improve while Hatteberg's better days are behind him. When I first saw that the Red Sox had claimed Choi off of waivers I wondered to myself, "why didn't a team like the Reds make a claim on this guy?" At only $750,000 a year I can't understand why Krivsky wouldn't even want to take a gamble on a 1B that is an improvement over Hatteberg as he his with the potential to become even better... Mind boggling
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Exactly. It would be one thing if Choi didn't have production that matched Hatteberg, he not only has that but exceeds it by a nice margin. Put him and his power in the GAB and they would potentially have a big bat on the dirt cheap. Oh and did I forget to mention he still has an option (why they would play him in AAA given our 1B depth is beyond me though.)

Ok, so this leads me to two thoughts:
    1.) A deal is in the works for an upgrade at 1B.
    2.) Our front office will continue to destroy my soul slowly over time.

I really hope Kriv proves me wrong because a lot of these moves just aren't clicking. Getting Ross who is out of options, why? Thus is a catcher on the move?

What to do with Denorfia? If we are sticking with Hatteberg and our OF is constant, where will he eventually play. Hateberg doesn't have a lot of time (beyond this year) and Dunn isn't going back to 1B from what it seems. Could he possibly be involved in some sort of package for Shealy? IIRC I read that the Rockies tried to have Shealy learn LF but gave up on that, could they use an OF? Because assuming Aurilia will get the undeserved starting spot at 2B, Freel will be the 4th OF (among other things).

Even if there is some sort of masterplan in the works, which I doubt, why not take a risk given our depth at the position (both at the MLB and in our system outside of Votto.) Choi turned 27 about a week ago and is just the kind of guy anyteam should want to take a risk on if they lack 1B depth.

I just feel like the more things change with this team in terms of front office structure, the more they stay the same. Prove me wrong Kriv.

MLB ERA
    I still think the best move would have Denorfia in left and Dunn back at first, but considering how insanely awful Hatteberg is, and how cheap and fitting Choi is, it doesn't make sense not to grab him. If a $750,000 contract is preventing the team from making what could be a very helpful move, then I think it's an indication that Castellini is no better than Lindner.

MLB ERA
    The Rockies are pretty loaded on outfielders just like Denorfia. I can't see them having that much interest in him.

MLB ERA
    I think Krivsky is working under a mandate from Castellini to try to win this year. He has to take a couple of risks to do that.

I don't like the idea that Hatteberg could start, along with Womack, but I am willing to give Krivsky a chance here.

I still think he knows what he's doing and will prove that over the long haul. He didn't have much time to make changes for this year to speak of. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt for now.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Yeah but Choi is an upgrade, a free upgrade (other than his small salary.) I am just getting the really sick feeling in my gut that he embraces the whole Jerry Narron "Players Who Know How To Win" philosophy.

C- LaRue
    1B- Choi
    2B- Freel
    3B- Ed E
    SS- FeLo
    LF- Dunn
    CF- Griffey
    RF- Kearns

Now that looks like an exciting lineup. And even the sample is small, Choi has mashed in GAB.

MLB ERA
    I would have liked it had we signed him too, but perhaps a trade or another signing is coming. If Hatteberg is seriously starting on Opening Day and I ask someone to pinch me and still see him starting then I will be angry. Until then, I am going to see what happens. And even if Hatteberg starts at the beginning of the year, Krivsky could make a deal to help with this issue in the short or long-term during the season.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    That lineup would be better than last year's lineup in all likelihood. I think Choi would be good for 30 HRs for us and his defense is notably above-average, as has been said. With the sometimes errant arms of Felipe and Edwin, I think a big, athletic first baseman like Dunn or Choi could go a long way in preventing errors.

MLB ERA
    Someone said Choi had a horrible eye in this topic.

That person makes me want to FACE STAB.

He has a .240 BA career and a .349 OBP career. How is that not a good eye?

MLB ERA
    Dude, that's a horrible eye. Everyone knows a player with a good eye has an OBP at least 150 points higher than his average.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast