Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds eye Craig Wilson

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Reds eye Craig Wilson

Reds eye Wilson

Any chance the Pirates might trade first baseman/outfielder Craig Wilson to Boston for right-hander Matt Clement ended Monday when the Red Sox traded right-hander Bronson Arroyo to the Cincinnati Reds in a trade for left fielder Wily Mo Pena.

Cincinnati is now reportedly eyeing Wilson to play first base with Adam Dunn, uncomfortable in his spring trial at that position, moving back to left. The Reds asked Dunn to learn first base after trading Sean Casey to the Pirates over the winter.

The Atlanta Braves are also a strong possibility to trade for Wilson as they are looking for someone to platoon with left-handed hitting first baseman Adam LaRoche. Atlanta is not likely to part with right-handed pitching prospect Kyle Davies but could trade right-hander John Thomson.

The deal would be close to a financial wash as Thomson has a $3.75-million salary this year while Wilson will make $3.3 million. Thomson also has a club option in his contract for $4.75 million in 2007 that can be bought out for $500,000.
    http://www.timesonline.com/site/news...d=478568&rfi=6

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    This may mean that Krivsky is wheeling and dealing right now. Ross takesValentin spot as the backup catcher. Valentin and Womack are traded for Wilson?

But then, where does Hatteberg go?

To the bench, where he belongs.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

AAA ERA
    Im still not so sure about all thats happening.

MLB ERA
    Adding Wilson would make the WMP trade much better IMO.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I fully agree CRF. But who would we tradefor him. We have to figure it is a catcher, right?

craig wilson is a Major.......and I mean Marjor upgrade over Hatteberg. I wouldnt mind at all trading Larue for him if the pirates want him. Craig Wilson could very well provide 30 HR and 350 OBP. I would welcome him aboard the reds, plus I wouldnt have to listen to Jason Larue's theme music anymore (she thinks my tractors sexy)

Can we send Dave Williams back?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Agree totally with Albbla on how much an upgrade with woud be. Hell, I would even love it if the Reds got Choi from the Dodgers if they're deadset on Dunn in the OF and Denorfia in AAA or on the bench. So if they plan to deal for Wilson in some fashion, I wouldn't mind the Pena trade nearly as much.

MLB ERA
    Wilson has a .851 career OPS. I know Pena is younger, but his OPS even last year was .796.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Does Craig Wilson bat right-handed?

If he does, him and Hatteberg might platoon at first; and he would also be a back-up in the OF.

MLB ERA
    He is a right-hander.

And he won't be platooning with Hatteberg. He is way too good to do that.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Cincy
    Can we send Dave Williams back?
    I have to think that they will not trade Williams for C. Wilson. But it is entertaining of thought. We do have 6 SP technically.

Does anyone know how much Wilson makes in 2006?

yeah, as much as I dont like the Mo Pena trade.....acquiring Wilson for Larue would actually improve the offense and the pitching (with the addition of Arroyo), plus Wilson is only 29 I believe, and provides a righty between Dunn and Griffey. If the Reds could actually pull this off, then I would be satisfied.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast