Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds eye Craig Wilson

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Cincy
    Does anyone know how much Wilson makes in 2006?
    All I know is that he made 3 million in 06.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincy
    Does anyone know how much Wilson makes in 2006?
    Craig Wilson: signed deal for 2006 season worth 3.3M on 1/14/06- + he can earn 300K in performance bonuses based on PA

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    This may mean that Krivsky is wheeling and dealing right now. Ross takesValentin spot as the backup catcher. Valentin and Womack are traded for Wilson?

But then, where does Hatteberg go?
    Why in the hell would Ross take Valentin's spot? Did you see Valentin play last year? Getting Wilson is like getting Adam Dunn Jr. Lots of strikeouts, good OBP, no average and some pop. I don't see this happening and maybe for the best.

MLB ERA
    I'm not very high on Wilson, mostly because he can't stay healthy. He'd be a nice righty bat in the line-up and he destroys lefties (.284/.413/.575 over the past three years), and he's got some nice versatility. I don't know if I'm willing to give up LaRue for him, though. I don't think it's fair to expect Javy to match what he did last year, especially in a full-time role, and David Ross is horrible. We might be improving one area of our offense to cripple another.

Then again, I don't know that the Pirates would really want a catcher. They've got Doumit, who is young and not much worse than LaRue, Cota, who is an adequate back-up, and Ronny Paulino, who is also 24 and ripped up the minors the past two years. I can't see LaRue being a viable option.

MLB ERA
    Ross would take Valentin's spot, because in the scenario redsrbetter proposed... Valentin would be dealt.

The Reds clearly like the "lots of strikeouts, good OBP, no average, some pop" player, even though Adam Dunn isn't "some pop" by any stretch of the imagination. Adam Dunn is a 500 pound soda can, not "some pop." But anyway, they have Dunn, they had WMP (although he's obviously not the OBP guy, though he has the potential to develop into it), they have Kearns, they have LaRue, all of whom fit that mold you presented. It's certainly not unreasonable that Krivsky maintains the hard-on for those kinds of players. Hell, the player Wilson would be replacing (Hatteberg, though he doesn't K as often) even fits that mold.

MLB ERA
    Wily Mo? Good OBP?

Scott Hatteberg? Lots of strikeouts? Some pop?

MLB ERA
    Bleh, both of them mostly fit the mold.

And Hatteberg definitely has at least *some* pop. fixed my orginal post.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Its just sad the Reds and Devil Rays are in the same boat. They have the offense and no pitching. Quit trying to make the offense better and get a real damn pitcher!!

MLB ERA
    The D-Rays have the offensive potential. Of course, they also have some pitching potential.

MLB ERA
    I maintain they should trade whichever catcher they feel is worse to the Brew-crew for one of their starters, if they intend on dealing a catcher at all.

Dave Bush would be moving from the AL to the NL, and that would certainly help him, plus he had a very good year in 2004 and showed promise in 2005.

of course, Geki no likey Davey Bushy.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I like that move McKain. Too bad they have Miller and Moeller there already. They aren't going to pay Miller alomst 4 mil to ride the bench. But you are right, if the Reds trade a catcher it should be for a pitcher. And the Rays have more than potential in that offense. They scored more runs than the Champs!!

If Wilson makes 3.3M+, that tells me Jason Larue is involved.

Quote Originally Posted by albbla2000mu
    craig wilson is a Major.......and I mean Marjor upgrade over Hatteberg. I wouldnt mind at all trading Larue for him if the pirates want him. Craig Wilson could very well provide 30 HR and 350 OBP. I would welcome him aboard the reds, plus I wouldnt have to listen to Jason Larue's theme music anymore (she thinks my tractors sexy)
    note...his actual theme music is 'A country boy can survive'...I just hope a country boy can be traded.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    So you guys are all prepared to trade LaRue for Wilson and have Valentin our everyday catcher with Ross backing him up?

I would be surprised to see this forum feel that way with how much Valentin was disgusted upon last year. Of course that was until he showed who he really was. But do you guys think he showed enough to be our starter?

For the price of LaRue, is Wilson worth it?

I think the difference in production between Wilson and Hat. is greater than the difference between Larue/Valentine and Valentine/Ross....not that I think Ross is any good. Its just a matter of production differences.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast