Thread: a few more cuts

a few more cuts

lancaster reports:

Reassigned to minor league camp: Jimmy Journell, Ben Kozlowski
    Optioned to Louisville: Elizardo Ramirez, Ray Olmedo
    Optioned to Chattanooga: Travis Chick, Phil Dumatrait, Miguel Perez, Joey Votto

no real surprises here. good to see perez and votto going to AA, it'd be great if they could both turn it on this year. Ramirez doesn't seem to be very high on the teams list right now, maybe because he was a DanO aquisition, who knows.

I thought Dumatrait might go to AAA, i wouldn't be surprised to see him moved up quick if he has some success.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Well, if Homer isn't going to be in the majors for probably this season, why is he still in major league camp? I can understand giving him some experience, but it seems like they might be getting his hopes up.
    rf28

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I thought I heard something about that being in his contract? That could be totally off though, so who knows.

But why send Dumatrait to AAA? A lot of people were real impressed with how he looked and I dont think it would be rushing him if he try him out at AAA versus filler junk.

MLB ERA
    maybe theyve told him they are going to keep him in the major league camp just to fully utilize his oppertunity to pitch against MLB talent and he start off at AA?
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21
    I thought I heard something about that being in his contract? That could be totally off though, so who knows.

But why send Dumatrait to AAA? A lot of people were real impressed with how he looked and I dont think it would be rushing him if he try him out at AAA versus filler junk.
    I totally agree. His numbers in AA were pretty good last year, but he was just a bad luck loser. I would think that he really has nothing else to prove there. Last year, though, he did pitch in 3 games in Sarasota before going to AA. Hopefully this is the same this year and after a couple of starts up to Louisville he goes. By the way(in case you dont remember) his stats from last season in Chattanooga:

24 GS 4-12 3.17 ERA 127 IP 115 H 58 runs 45 ER 4 HR 70 BB 101 K

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    You got dig the low homerun total, pretty decent H/9 and the very respectable (and tremendous for our farm) K/9. Hopefully this is a move to let him work on his mechanics and hammer down his control. I've always liked what I've read about Dumatrait so hopefully he'll have continued success this year.

AA ERA
    Just an article about this and comments from Krivsky about Bailey:
    Bailey avoids second round of cuts
    Reds assign two to Louisville, four to Chattanooga
    By Gary Schatz / Special to MLB.com

SARASOTA, FLA. -- The Reds made their second round of roster moves on Monday.

Right-handed pitcher Travis Chick and left-hander Phil Dumatrait were optioned to Double-A Chattanooga. Catcher Miguel Perez and first baseman Joey Votto will also start the season with the Lookouts.

Right-hander Elizardo Ramirez and infielder Ray Olmedo were optioned to Triple-A Louisville, while right-hander Jimmy Journell and lefty Ben Kozlowski were reassigned to Minor League camp.

The moves leave the Reds with 48 players in camp, counting the four players involved with the World Baseball Classic.

The eight players sent out of camp were not as surprising as a name left off the list.

Homer Bailey, the Reds' first pick in the 2004 First-Year Player Draft, remains in camp.

"It just happens that he is scheduled to pitch tonight, and the day of the split-squad games (March 18) falls so we can keep him on his regular turn," general manager Wayne Krivsky said. "Don't read anything into it."

Minor League camp begins intrasquad games on Wednesday. Bailey most likely will be in the next round of cuts, but he has made a positive impression on nearly everyone. He has allowed just one hit in three scoreless innings.
    And Baileys numbers from the game per Lancaster blog:
    His line: 1 2/3 innings, six hits, five runs, two earned runs, no walks, two strikeouts

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Good to see Krivsky explain why Bailey is still up. I completely understand it and I like that he is getting exposure. I just hope that Bailey is being informed as well.

I have been up on Dumatrait this entire off season. I think he did an awesome job last year and we couldn't have asked for more. I hope he breezes through AA and gets enough time to see a challenge in AAA. Once he does a solid job there, he may get a callup in September. That would be a very good look for Dumatrait this season.

AA ERA
    Todays cuts from the Lancaster blog:

SARASOTA -- The ax swung again today. Nothing too shocking, but it's always tough to see some of these guys go.

Tuffy Rhodes has been released. He said he's done with baseball and is ready to go home and be a dad.

Homer Bailey, Aaron Holbert, Earl Snyder, Ryan Hanigan and Steve Torrealba have been reassigned to minor league camp.

The Reds now have 42 players in camp.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Well Rhodes is an outfielder that we can take off the books. I was inrigued when I heard he can mash with all kinds of power, but I did not expect hime to play for the Reds. I have no bad thoughts in his release.

I think these were good cuts as well. Time for Bailey to get settled in with his new team. Does anyone know if he is going to play for Sarasota or Chattanooga?

AA ERA
    I would imagine Bailey will start in Sarasota. At least let him dominate there for the first month of the season. I would look for a mid season callup to Chattanooga. I would be surprised to see him in Louisville this year unless he really dominates. But as has been said so many times, there is no need to rush him.