Thread: Ty Howington and Jimmy Journell are gone.

MLB ERA

Ty Howington and Jimmy Journell are gone.

Per Lancaster.

Here's another move I don't get. Neither was likely to become a serious contributor, but we're continually letting go pitching depth for nothing in return. That raises the count to Hancock (Who is playing well in Cardinals camp and looks like he could grab a spot in their pen), Hudson, Simpson, Bubba, Journell, and Howington that I can recall. None are anything special, but these aren't guys we should just be dropping. O'Krivsky fails again.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    We're dropping a ton, but who are we adding. It's not exactly like we are stockpiled with talent at AA or AAA.

MLB ERA
    I like this move too. Great job, Krivsky. Get rid of the useless muck.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    And replace the useless muck with what? Howington and Journell were the least likely to contribute of the six pitchers he's released thus far, but the other four really can't be justified. If they weren't gonna be with the major league club, put them in AAA. He seems to think he's still with the Twins and has tons of pitching depth, because the Reds can't throw away people like Simpson, Hancock, Hudson, and Nelson who can contribute in the case of injuries or in the future.

MLB ERA
    They aren't going to contribute because they aren't good. There is no use in having players who aren't good pitching.

I'm sure he knows we don't have much depth and I'm sure he plans to address that issue through the draft, trades, FA, etc., but I think he wants to get rid of as many of the useless arms as possible beforehand.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

MLB ERA
    We aren't gonna get anything better than what we're giving up through trades or FA right now, and anyone we draft can't contribute for years. He's getting rid of possibly useful pitchers while stocking up on totally useless utilitymen, and it makes no sense.

MLB ERA
    If they're "useful," I suppoe you think the team is close to competing right now? I'm not sure how "useful" they are otherwise. Even then, I don't see any of them making any significant impacts for a team. I just don't think we need those pitchers around right now. It's not like they would be positives in terms of VORP or anything.

MLB ERA
    I believe Hancock is capable of putting up an ERA of around 4 working out of the pen, which would certainly be useful. Simpson has strikeout ability, which is something this team really lacks. Hudson never got a chance to work out of the pen, and should've been given a shot. Nelson is still young and could still be decent in middle relief.