Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Soriano for Griffey rumored!

MLB ERA
    He hasn't had the time yet. There is no good pitching out there. I think he released those guys to do the opposite of what you say: to show the team he cares about improving the pitching and that they aren't going to accept poor pitching under his watch for long. I'm not upset about any of them being released.

If Perez and McCracken or even on the team at all, I'll be surprised. They were just here to add depth in case of a possible trade and to add competition during ST.

He hasn't had the time to show he's good or bad, but I like what I've heard him say. Let's give him time before we think he's an idiot. I personally think he knows what he's doing.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    OBP is more valuable than slugging percentage, but there really isn't a better stat than OPS to portray a player's all around offensive skill. Soriano is poop.

MLB ERA
    He's said the exact same things that O'Brien said when he was coming in. He's a mirror-image of DanO, and I expect he'll fail just as spectacularly.

MLB ERA
    Triples and Double are important too. Not every hit is going to be a HR. The importance is distinguishing between hitters who give you a little of everything or a lot of one thing but not much of other things. To isolate ONLY HR is just using stats. to your advantage but not really doing so in the process because you haven't looked at the total package of what are the most important issues.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Geki Ace
    He's said the exact same things that O'Brien said when he was coming in. He's a mirror-image of DanO, and I expect he'll fail just as spectacularly.
    What do you think has led to the Twins' success?

Terry Ryan says that Krivsky was responsible for much of it.

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    What do you think have led to the Twins' success?

Terry Ryan says that Krivsky was responsible for much of it.
    I think its too early to judge him positive or negative. We can judge him towards the end of the season IMO. But I dont hold much water in the Twins success quote though. Many thought DePodesta was one of the big parts of Oakland and where is he now. I understand that good GM come up from other organizations, but to judge him on that is just a little too early for me.

MLB ERA
    What the hell was Terry Ryan going to say? So far I've seen nothing to suggest he's a good GM, and I think the parallels with O'Brien are almost uncanny.

MLB ERA
    That's exactly what I said above. I personally have faith in him and believe he knows what he's doing.

That's just me.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Geki Ace
    What the hell was Terry Ryan going to say? So far I've seen nothing to suggest he's a good GM, and I think the parallels with O'Brien are almost uncanny.
    Just pointing out that he talked very highly of him. I don't think he'll be like O'Brien ultimately, but we'll find out.

MLB ERA
    If you have faith in him, fine, but don't go around acting like he's obviously not going to make a stupid deal, because he's WAYNE KRIVSKY, GM/HAMMER OF GOD.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    Triples and Double are important too. Not every hit is going to be a HR. The importance is distinguishing between hitters who give you a little of everything or a lot of one thing but not much of other things. To isolate ONLY HR is just using stats. to your advantage but not really doing so in the process because you haven't looked at the total package of what are the most important issues.
    No one is isolating anything here. I simply said that he will hit more homers and have more RBI than Guillen's 2005 numbers and that Soriano has more power. Soriano's past stats back that up. You can try and compare their OPS all day but it just doesn't amount to anything. We all have known Soriano's on base abilities are not good which is why they moved him to the fifth spot in Texas where he belongs. His power numbers (HR and RBI) are the important thing to look at in that five hole, not his OBP. I am the one looking at the whole package.

AA ERA
    I think he has be better than O'Brien just for the fact that its going to be real hard to be as bad as him. I think Krivsky at least has a plan, but still that doesnt make him a good GM either. Its too early to tell since he has only been on the job for a month. This will be a good discussion at the All Star break though.

MLB ERA
    How did I act like that?

All I said to begin with his that I could have seen this move with O'Brien as GM, but I don't see if with Krivsky as GM because I don't think he's an idiot like O'Brien.

I have reason to believe this deal won't happen as well.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    No one is isolating anything here. I simply said that he will hit more homers and have more RBI than Guillen's 2005 numbers and that Soriano has more power. Soriano's past stats back that up. You can try and compare their OPS all day but it just doesn't amount to anything. We all have known Soriano's on base abilities are not good which is why they moved him to the fifth spot in Texas where he belongs. His power numbers (HR and RBI) are the important thing to look at in that five hole, not his OBP. I am the one looking at the whole package.
    The use of RBI makes this argument pretty weak.

And again, OPS is the statistic to look at. The HR will likely be lowered for Soriano at RFK.

everything i've heard about the reds involvement in a soriano deal suggests that it will be a three team deal, with the mets most likely getting soriano, and the reds getting pitching.

Obviously the reds aren't trying to add offense in the form of a second baseman at the cost of their most popular player coming off a great year. That's ridiculous.

involving another team makes it a little more likely, but not much. Even more likely is the version of this rumor that has wily mo going to the nats instead of griffey, since bowden still loves him. minaya loves soriano, and hopefully the combination of those two things could get the reds some good pitching.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast