Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Willy Mo traded for Bronson Arroyo (Confirmed)

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21
    I swear, if Hatteberg and Woemack are in the starting lineup for Opening Day, I am not watching. I'll casually follow the team this season, but a product that bad is not worth anyone's time.
    Me too Mission.

AAA ERA
    you know I love WMP, but for now, We just have to hope he never catches on, but I will say this, a trade like this is what will make him a super star, look at Paul O'Neil, he was 10x better for NY than he was with us, I just have this nasty feeling that it is going to be one of those moves that Red Sox fans will be like, wow, look at what we got, and Reds will be on the other side saying, I can't believe we gave him up for a dead arm.. Arroyo is a decent pitcher, hell if he was a FA accquisition, I would probably be happy with the signing, but to give up a guy like WMP for him, is just insane, I mean sure pitching is pitching, I said that about Casey, but shit, Now I want Casey back, since our OF isn't crowded anymore.. no what this move tells me is that they want to get Womack, Hatteberg, and Aurillia in the lineup every day.. and sorry I am not going to pay to see that

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redsfan28
    The Reds better be glad they signed Dunn to a LTC, cause they got him by the package right now. Look for Dunn to demand a trade in the not too distant future.
    If we're not winning, which we won't be, I wouldn't be surprised. I wonder if essentially since the Reds chose Kearns over Pena, if that will play well with his buddy Adam.

AA ERA
    Well, I said in like 5 posts yesterday that it was too early to judge Krivsky at this point. Well, I apologize, mainly to Geki, because he sucks. While Arroyo is an improvement for this staff, one, how is he worth Wily Mo, and two, how is he going to help us win more games this year for it to be worth trading for him. So what, this year we win 78 games instead of 73 b/c of this trade. I just dont see why you pull the trigger on this at this point of the season. I could deal with it more if we were closer to the All Star break and we were contending for the wild card. Oh well. All I have to say is:

WORST TRADE EVER!

MLB ERA
    Give me back O'Brien. Seriously.

what...red's fans not satisfied with dealing for a 29 year old middle of the rotation for a guy who could hit 40-50 HR?????????? Damnit!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cant wait to listen to 1360 and 700 WLW here in cincy about this one.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I am betting that his 14-10 record will be the selling point (at which I will repeatedly bang my head against the wall until I eventually pass out.) I can just see it now: "Narron, this guy won fourteen games last year. He knows how to win."

AA ERA
    Thats a good one mission. Damnit this sucks Well, I guess I have to change my sig now. I need to get one with Pena taking his bat to Krivskys head.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by volzok
    Well, I said in like 5 posts yesterday that it was too early to judge Krivsky at this point. Well, I apologize, mainly to Geki, because he sucks. While Arroyo is an improvement for this staff, one, how is he worth Wily Mo, and two, how is he going to help us win more games this year for it to be worth trading for him. So what, this year we win 78 games instead of 73 b/c of this trade. I just dont see why you pull the trigger on this at this point of the season. I could deal with it more if we were closer to the All Star break and we were contending for the wild card. Oh well. All I have to say is:

WORST TRADE EVER!
    Worse than Reitsma for Bubba and Bong and some Bong to keep DanO spaced out ? We still have a problem in the managers spot we just got to hope that Lou doesnt get approached by someone like the Yankees. This is a move to build some continuity in the staff rather than keep on bringing in retreads. Hes 29, does it suck trading Pena? Yes but if we keep waiting for the few arms in the minors then Dunn and Co. could all be gone anyways.

Rome wasnt built in a day and the new owner and GM didnt exactly have a chance to make a real impact. They came in JANUARY when most of the big time FAs had already been signed, unless you consider Rafael Palmerio, Bret Boone, an aging Juan Gonzalez, or Sammy Sosa as big time FAs. Most of the contracts that we are complaining about were signed by O'Brien. Lets give Krivsky a chance, if Narron can't put the "best team on the field" thats not his fault since he didnt get to name his own guy yet. If Narron isnt the right guy he will be gone soon enough just like Baltimore got rid of everyone mid season cause they wanted "their guys" in power.

If I were running the team:
    Freel OF
    Lopez SS
    Dunn 1b
    Kearns OF
    Griffey OF
    Ed E 3b
    Aurilia 2b (Im starting to like the thought of Soriano and a pitcher for Milton and a "average spect).
    Larue C
    Pitcher
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

AA ERA
    I dont see how you can compare the Reitsma trade with this. While Reitsma was a pitcher, what would he be with us right now. He might be our closer or possibly even starting. Either way, he is about on the same par as Arroyo. In 5 years we will look at this deal and say what the hell were they thinking. Think about how many HR Pena will hit out of Boston. We traded a future All Star for a #2 pitcher(for the Reds) that isnt going to lead us to the division title or anything.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Well fellas there are a lot of mixed emotions going on for this one. I absolutely hate losing a guy with untapped potential like WMP. But in essence we just traded potential for a major need. Arroyo is another Harang and now we can say that we have 3 arms that can keep us in games. We have said it here so many times, as long as we have arms that can keep us in games, we can win with our offense. This is essentially the same offense as last season without Casey. Pena did not get to start unless Kearns or someone else was benched.

I like this trade for the benefit of Arroyo's contract and for the fact that we have another good SP.

The problem lies with Narron. I know he stepped in and had this team on a nice second half which means he managed well. But as I was reading this thread and found out about the trade, I knew that it was Hatteberg's job at firstbase now. I believe that Dunn may have told Krivsky that he really wants to remain in the OF as well. Think about it, Hatteberg may have been signed for the starting 1B position all along. Dunn hasn't played much 1B during the spring at all. If you were going to have him learning a new position, you would have him out there every day. But nobody worried about that and it all conveniantly works out that he is going back to LF.

The plan may have been in place but was never mentioned as such for PR reasons. So we have to cripple Hatteberg starting at 1B with Rich "knows how to play the game" Aurilia at 2B because of Narron's mismanaging.

Again, I like the trade, but not how this manager is going to use it.

enter 2006 lineup:

Lopez SS
    Aurilia 2B
    Griffey CF
    Dunn LF
    Hatteberg 1B
    Kearns RF
    Encarnacion 3B
    LaRue/Valentin C
    Pitcher

Rotation:

Harang
    Arroyo
    Claussen
    Williams
    Milton

And that lineup is why we have to hate Narron.

AA ERA
    Per the Lancaster blog:

UPDATE (12:10 p.m.): You can forget about Dunn staying at first base. He may get the occasional look there, but he'll be back in left basically full-time, with Hatteberg getting most of the starts at first. I imagine we'll see Aurilia over there a bit more, too.

"Adam Dunn is a better left fielder than Wily Mo would be, and Hatteberg will be a better first baseman than Adam Dunn would be," said Jerry Narron. "So I think defensively we helped ourselves, and the pitching part of it is outstanding for us."

The cash amount is $1.5 million -- the difference between Arroyo's and Pena's salaries for this season.

The message from both Narron and Wayne Krivsky was that this is a trade that will help both clubs.

"You’ve got to give up something to get something, and we just happened to have a match," said Krivsky. "They had excess starters, and we had a right-handed bat that has proven what he can do against left-handed pitching, at least."

As for Wily Mo, he seemed pretty excited, and everyone in the clubhouse seemed happy for him. He said he spoke briefly with Theo Epstein and Terry Francona just before the deal was announced.

"They told me they were happy to get me and they’ve been trying to get me for a long time," said Pena.

Krivsky said discussions with Epstein only started three to five days ago, and this wasn't something he had been working on long-term.

"It really fell into place fairly quickly," said Krivsky.
    The bold tells you how smart the Red Sox brass is.

MLB ERA
    Why do people think Arroyo's a good pitcher? He's a 5th starter on a team with a halfway decent staff, and he's not going to make us much better. Congratulations, Reds front office. Arroyo was traded because the Red Sox don't need him, since they have a bunch of average starters. Hm, sounds eerily similar to how we got Dave Williams. The Pirates didn't need him because they had better stuff. When we're trading fan-favorite hitters for guys that the Red Sox and Pirates are looking to dump from their rotations, you really need to re-evaluate how you're doing things, and I suggest not doing it solely for monetary reasons. Castellini is no different from Lindner, and Krivsky is no different from O'Brien. I think I'm gonna go become a Red Sox fan or something.

For a guy who hit .254 with 19 HRs last year in a hitter's park, you sure love him. I don't think you could have gotten any better for Pena, nor should you have.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

AA ERA
    Yes, but he only had 311 AB. I think he would hit a lot more if he played everyday.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast