Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McCracken vs. Denorfia/Cruz

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

McCracken vs. Denorfia/Cruz

McCracken:OBP .441 SLG .438. BA .406

Cruz: OBP .526 SLG .538 BA .308

Denorfia: OBP .316 SLG .273 BA .242

Denorfia has the worst numbers and has played in the most games. Looks like Narron is trying to see if Denorfia can get it done and he has not put up the numbers that McCracken and Cruz have. Is Denorfia in jeopardy of dropping down in the depth chart to McCracken?

Also, with Hatteberg being a seemingly fit LH bat coming off the bench, do you guys think that Cruz might not have a big league job either?

Our bench could very well look something like this:

(assuming Aurilia gets the 2B job)
    Valentin C
    Hatteberg 1B
    Freel Util
    McCracken OF
    Womack MIF
    Kata Util

Yes that look like an awful lot of MIF type bench players. But Freel and Kata can both play the outfield as well. That gives us vurtually 3 outfielders and 3 infielders to go along with our catcher and 1B.

Don't get it twisted though. I would much rather see Denorfia on that bench than almost anyone. And I also think it would be a mistake not to have Cruz coming off the bench and pinch hitting for us this year again. But this could be a worst case scenario. Right now, I am not quite sure what this team is looking at though. The Kata addition just confused me a lot. And McCracken playing so well on top of that creates a whole new can of worms.

What do you all think?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I still think Denorfia would be better suited in AAA to develop. Since he was kind of a late bloomer as far as prospects go, I don't think we should rush him in case he regresses. Let him go solid AB's in AAA in a starting position.

As far as McCracken goes, I don't buy it. If I could pick between him and Cruz, it would be Cruz (not because of his current numbers but just because I know what to expect of his performance and it's safe to say that neither of them will perform like that when the season comes around.) Given how much the Hatteberg signing was talked about, I could see him getting a lot of AB's, more from starting than pinch-hitting. Jr. will need time off from time to time and they'll shift Dunn to the OF or whatever and give him some AB's. Whatever the case will be, I am just hoping if it comes down to deciding between Cruz and McCracken, they'll look at the line from McCracken last year a little more so than a small spring sample size:

Code:
     	G	AB	R	H	2B	3B	HR	RBI	TB	BB	SO	SB	CS	OBP	SLG	AVG
    2005	134	215	23	51	4	3	1	13	64	23	35	4	0	.313	.298	.237

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I fully agree about McCracken man. We likely don't understand why they even signed McCracken other than competition for the OF off the bench position. So far, he is beating that competition. It may just be between Denorfia, Rhodes, and McCracken and if so McCracken has the lead in that competition.

Cruz may be on the team as a pinch hitter and that is it. Not looked at as a replacement OF.

because the reds are going to carry 12 pitchers, they'll only have room for 5 on the bench. So if you assume valentin, freel, hatteberg, and womack are all locks (with MLB contracts) that leaves only leaves one spot, which means kata is out.

I also don't buy McC, since he's just hitting singles in early ST, which is when you see a lot of non-major league pitchers.

The guy you're forgetting about is Dewayne Wise who's hitting .360/.407/.840, and has a couple more hits, runs, and rbi today including a tripple off halladay. He's had some major league success in the past, he has some speed and a good amount of pop, and a really strong arm in the OF. Also, Lancaster gave a heads up the other day on his blog that he had a feeling that Wise had impressed a lot of people and had a real shot at making the team.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

AA ERA
    This is a good question. I also would like to see Denorfia up in Cincy, but I would imagine he will start in Louisville since it seems he isnt ready. So it does come down to Cruz vs McCracken. I think this is hard to judge. We know what Cruz brings to the table, but its a good point that Hatteberg will take his AB as far as 1B is concerned. We also know what McCracken brings to the table. Hopefully Narron isnt looking at what he did 8 years ago. This will probably come down to the wire and I would imagine the last week of ST will weed out who gets the job.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Yep, I forgot about Wise. He has been pretty good this spring as well. Thanks for the heads up on from Lancaster as well. That is very interesting and changes everything. I have to admit that I am impressed with McCracken's play, but Wise is doing pretty well also. Things could get real interesting.

I wonder if they feel like Denorfia needs a little time in Louisville. Mission may have that right as well. denorfia is on the same page as Wagner for me. Bith have great potential to help the Reds, but may need more time in AAA.

MLB ERA
    Wise isn't gonna make the big-league team. Should be Denorfia, will be McCracken, and Cruz will likely be called up the first time someone goes on the DL.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Why do you think Wise won't make it?

MLB ERA
    His career .203/.243/.372 line in the majors, his 234/.285/.354 line in the minors last year, and the fact that he doesn't make up for his inability to hit with overwhelming speed or defense. A decent spring training doesn't make him a good hitter. I'd prefer him to McCracken, but it's not gonna happen.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Cruz better be on the roster. He led the majors in pinch hits and always seemed to come through in the clutch.
    rf28

MLB ERA
    I don't want Cruz on the roster. He's nothing but a pinch-hitter, and he only led the league in pinch-hits because he pinch-hit every damn game.

MLB ERA
    I see no need for Cruz with Hatteberg around now. McCracken's performance is nothing but a mirage in all likelyhood.

The same could also be said for any statistics in ST unless there is an overwhelming trend a player illustrates, such as EdE's improved defense and HR ability.

I would start Denorfia in Cincy to start the year and not send him down unless he struggles. I get the sense his ST struggles might have something to do with the "Spring Training statistics don't matter" notion. I think he'll be OK once we get into the season. I think he's about ready to play at the MLB level.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I do as well (although some time in AAA certainly wouldn't hurt and in fact, may help more so), but the question remains is what amount of AB's he'll be seeing here. I dont think Hatteberg will be going into the Cruz role of pinch-hitter supreme with a Sunday start every few weeks. From the way Narron talks, I wouldnt be surpised to see him start more frequently (IE, sit Griffey, play Hatteberg at 1st, Dunn to the OF, etc) and let's just assume the Reds are ignorant enough to keep Freel on the bench and play Woemack/Aurilia, I am just worried about Denorfia getting lost in the shuffle. Obviously he doesnt have the talent potential Kearns/WMP have but if an outfielder is traded at the deadline, it would be nice have a young guy step in and produce versus having one missing out precious developmental AB's and being somewhat rusty. With Denorfia, it all comes down to the amount of AB's they'll pencil him in for. I could live with Cruz or Wise being the odd man out so to speak.

MLB ERA
    Denorfia can steal a few bases, get on base, play good defense, and has some power. While it sounds like RHM is getting "Heartthrob" to stick as his nickname, should that fail I think "Enough" would be a suitable replacement. He won't dominate anywhere, but he does enough everywhere to be a quality player.

MLB ERA
    The AB issue is a concern. I don't want to see Denorfia screwed over because Narron wants players who "play the game the right way," (supposedly).

I agree about Hatteberg. I think Narron loves him too much to give him many "blows." (Ironic that he LOVES him TOO much for that (Even though he liked doing that to players a lot last year)... which continued Miley's tradition.

If Freel is on the bench for Woe-is-me-Mack and Richie, I'm going to go have a chat at GABP with Narron.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast