Thread: 2B job still a mystery!

2B job still a mystery!

Quote Originally Posted by Cincy Enquirer
    SARASOTA, Fla. - Reds manager Jerry Narron said the decision on who will start at second base could go down to the last days of spring training.

"Probably so," he said. "It might go down to June or July."

Ryan Freel started at second Friday in the team's 5-4 victory over the New York Yankees. It was Freel's fourth start there. Tony Womack has started six games, Rich Aurilia one and Frank Menechino one.

Three weeks remain in spring training, and that's plenty of time for things to play out. But don't put too much emphasis on spring training stats, either.

After going 0-for-3 Friday, Freel's hitting .045. Aurilia had an RBI single in three at-bats Friday to push his average to .200. Womack didn't play, but he's hitting .389.

How much do spring stats matter?

"Not one bit for guys who've proven they are bona fide major-leaguers," Narron said.

It would appear the Reds have three or four bona fide big-leaguers vying for one position.

Coming into camp, it looked like Aurilia might play third base if Edwin Encarnacion faltered. But the way Encarnacion has played (five homers, 12 RBI in seven games), Mike Schmidt would have trouble supplanting him.

Narron continues to talk about Freel in a utility role.

"He can play second, third, all three outfield positions," Narron said. "Not only us, but all of baseball would like to have someone like that."

As for second, Narron might pick and choose, depending on the pitching matchup.

Freel and Womack are top-of-the-order guys who can run. Aurilia is more of a down-in-the-order run producer.

Womack is coming off a rough year (.249, no homers, 15 RBI in 108 games). Aurilia had a better year hitting (.282, 14 HRs, 68 RBI) than Freel (.271, four HRs, 21 RBI).

But Freel got on base more - a .371 on-base percentage, compared to .338 for Aurilia - and stole 36 bases in 46 attempts.

Look at it this way: We'll know the choice by July.
    http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...357/1071/SPT04
    I don't know if you guys read this story, but I'm a little worried that Womack is going to be the starter at the begining of the season.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I attribute Womack's numbers going down last year because he wasn't happy playing left and that shit takes a toll but there is no way I could start him over Freel. Freel has earned a starting job.

MLB ERA
    Womack was a piece of shit before last year. He's a leadoff man who can't get on base.

i just don't get the "old school" baseball guys like Narron, he drives me nuts with his comments. First he says spring training is all about competition and guys are going to have earn their jobs. Then he says that spring training stats don't mean anything if you're a major leaguer. So... tell me again how he's going to decide who has won the second base job? freel, aurillia, and womack are all major leaguers, so what do they have to do, win an ass kissing contest?
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I don't think it is a chancein hell for Freel to win a butt kissing contest either. Aurilia has already established that. And Freel has a lot of making up to do because of his second incident with alcohol. The worst part is, Freel is not hitting right now whereas Aurilia is doing well.

MLB ERA
    Aurilia isn't doing well, either. Womack's the only one hitting worth a damn, but he's been useless on the basepaths.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Yep you are right there. I didn't realize Aurilia was doing so bad. But he is still playing far better than Freel so far.

AAA ERA
    Freel is terrible this spring, womack is hitting well. so there you go.. but then again last year guys who did well in spring got cut.. so really its all whoever kisses Narrons ass the most

AA ERA
    Well, hopefully with Miley and O'Brien gone, this will not be the case.

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by volzok
    Well, hopefully with Miley and O'Brien gone, this will not be the case.
    i guess it will be the first test to see if things are going to be any different