Thread: Hudson, Nelson released

Hudson, Nelson released

From Lancaster:

"SARASOTA -- Six players were sent packing from big-league camp this morning.

The Reds released Luke Hudson and Bubba Nelson, and reassigned to minor league camp Aaron Herr, Anderson Machado, Derek Wathan and Josh Hall."

Thus ends the Bubba nelson experiment i suppose. Too bad about hudson i think. He didn't seem to be doing that badly this spring, i wonder why they didn't send him to minor league camp like the rest.

To be honest, i expected the first round of cuts to be much more substantial considering how many players we have in camp. At some point they're going to have to cut like 20 guys at once at this rate.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I am surprised about the releases. Didn't Nelson have a pretty good season as Chattanooga's closer last season? Hudson is a dissapointment as well IMO. I wasn't ready for him to make the 25 man out of ST, but I still think he has the stuff to be an effective reliever someday.

I agree, the cuts were minimal and I have no clue why. I can't complain about them though and am happy Machado was one of them. I would bet that if DanO were still around, Anderson Macahdo would still be there.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Hudson is a bit of a surprise. Nelson's not. That only leaves the Bong-er left from DanO's infamous trade.
    rf28

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Nelson started off pretty nicely but finished with a very average season. Gave up too many hits, had a plus 4.5 ERA and a weak K/BB ratio. I don't think he's a legit prospect but my question is, why release him? Our minors are not that strong (especially AA onward with pitching) so I am wondering if it had something to do with behaviour.

These guys being release makes no sense. I dont know why Hudson wasnt sent to AAA and Nelson kept in the minors. You cant tell me they are possibly taking someones spot in the minors that someday might play in the big leagues. Makes no sense.

AAA ERA
    wow, I mean Hudson's 2004 season had everyone excited, and Nelson proves that we got raped with the Reitsma trade

MLB ERA
    I disagree with both. It's not that I think either is going to turn into anything that good, but we don't have anything better in the minors.

They were released because they're on the 40 man roster and/or are out of options.

MLB ERA
    Only neither is on the 40 man roster. They were both dropped from it earlier, I think to make room for Gosling and Hatteberg, and both cleared waivers. The fact that they're out of options is moot since neither is going to be sent down.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Hudson's control costs him a job
    Reds notebook
    BY KEVIN KELLY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER
    BRADENTON, Fla. - Once considered one of the Reds' most promising pitching prospects, Luke Hudson now is looking for a new team.

The Reds released the 28-year-old Thursday as part of the first round of roster cuts. There are now 56 players remaining in major-league camp.

"We just didn't see improvement in his control - throwing strikes, getting ahead of hitters," Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky of Hudson. "He still has a good arm. He's taken good care of himself. I don't have any doubt he'll hook on with somebody else.

"But we felt he was behind a lot of other people at this time."

Hudson made three appearances this spring and allowed one earned run over four innings. The right-hander struck out four but also walked four.

"All you can do right now is get another job," Hudson said. "Who knows - a change of setting might help me.

"The tough thing is this is my fifth year in this organization. Saying goodbye to everyone is the toughest part."

In 19 appearances with the Reds last season, including 16 starts, Hudson went 6-9 with a 6.38 ERA over 842/3 innings. He allowed 83 hits and struck out just three more batters (53) than he walked (50).

There remains a possibility Hudson could wind up with the Reds.

"Depending on what he has out there, I told him we'd keep the dialogue open," Krivsky said.

Also released Thursday was minor-league pitcher Bubba Nelson.

OTHER MOVES: Reassigned to minor-league camp Thursday were infielders Aaron Herr, Anderson Machado and Derek Wathan and pitcher Josh Hall.

"They just need to go out and play - in some cases play to make a club," Reds manager Jerry Narron said.

"Josh Hall hasn't pitched a great deal over the last couple of years. He needs to pitch."
    http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...603100355/1071