Thread: Adam Dunn Chat

Adam Dunn Chat

Dunn is doing a "live" chat on MLB.com right now (11:30 est). I've submitted 10 questions or so, the auto nickname they gave me was Base_Ball_3.

anyone else from s3f ask any questions?
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Can you ask him if he plans to cut down on his strikeouts and maybe raise his batting average? He's killing me in fantasy.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I wasn't able to ask any, I just forgot about it. Hopefully some of your questions get answered Wally. It will be nice to see what he has to say to the fans.

i asked about the strikeouts, but he didn't get to that one. They haven't put a transcript up but i think he got to 4 of my questions, some better than others.
    Reds MVP Race

AA ERA
    I would say most of his strikeouts are a cause of a lack of patience and trying to knock the ball out of the yard every at bat. Of course this is prototypical of most power hitters in the league. But, I would be interested to have known what his response might have been.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    And a lot of strikeouts are because the umps can't properly determine Dunn's strike zone and often times what Adam Dunn thinks is a ball but is called a strike is in all actuality, a ball.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Anyone have the #'s for Dunn's strikeouts looking vs. strikeouts swinging?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Do they even keep track of that? I don't believe I have ever seen an example of that.

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox34
    I would say most of his strikeouts are a cause of a lack of patience and trying to knock the ball out of the yard every at bat.
    this is clearly not the case since dunn had 114 walks last year. Of batters with 120 k's or more the average bb/k ration was .51, or one walk for every two k's. Dunn's was .68, so he's clearly a patient hitter.

i'd agree with the strikezone idea, and add that he does swing hard every time, and hasn't developed the ability to jump on "his" pitch all the way yet.
    Reds MVP Race

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Hey Wally, do they have the transcript up for his answers yet?

Imagine when he does figure does develop the ability to jump on "his" pitch. There is still an immeasurable talent in the big guy.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    Hey Wally, do they have the transcript up for his answers yet?

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060306&content_id=1336740&vkey=s pt2006news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

So here are the 4 of mine he answered, like i said, they weren't the best ones i asked.

Base_Ball_3: Do you ever set personal statistical goals for a season? If so, what are they?

Dunn: No -- I do not.

Base_Ball_3: Which of the young Reds pitchers who you've seen impress you the most?

Dunn: Probably Phil Dumatrait -- he's looked really good. Aaron Harang always looks good.

Base_Ball_3: Can you describe your approach at the plate?

Dunn: I guess I could try. I like to see a lot of pitches. That's a good thing and that's a bad thing. I'm learning to take the good with the bad. Patience, sort of.

Base_Ball_3: Have you heard from Danny Graves? If so, how does he feel about the Reds now?

Dunn: I have talked to him -- about once a week. It definitely was a shame how it was handled.

here was the answer i liked to hear the most:

ajwseven: Can Felipe Lopez repeat with another great year?

Dunn: Felipe, when it's all said and done, will be one of the greatest shortstops in Reds history. He's incredible. To answer your question -- absolutely.

and here was the answer i thought was the weirdest:

busler: Adam, honestly how close are you guys from being a contender?

Dunn: I think we're probably four players away. Whether we get them through trades, free agency, draft or through the system.

i mean, how can you quantify how many players you are from being a contender? i don't even know what his answer means.
    Reds MVP Race

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally Mo Pena
    Dunn: I think we're probably four players away. Whether we get them through trades, free agency, draft or through the system.

i mean, how can you quantify how many players you are from being a contender? i don't even know what his answer means.
    Maybe it was a subtle reference (cheap shot?) to the Reds starting rotation after Aaron Harang?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I liked all the answers Dunn gave. Very nice questions offered up Wally. He really seems to think that this team can contend. I like how positive he is on the young pitching too. The Dumatrait reference should not be surprising. This gives me even more reason to look out for him. That and his season last year are great additions to his career. I look forward to seeing him being called up in the next few years.

I was also thinking that it was the SP he was refering to when he said we were 4 players away. I love how he feels like it is a whole new world for the Reds since the new regime has come along. I am getting very excited for the season to start.