Thread: Hot start for hot corner

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Hot start for hot corner

Third base is the land of opportunity and suspense for the Cincinnati Reds this spring. With a young future star making the most of his opportunity through the first week of spring training. Edwin Encarnacion may be feeling the pressure from the Reds front office. He knows his job at third base is not going to be handed to him. The Reds manager Jerry Narron has made that abundantly clear.

So what does Edwin Encarnacion have to conquer to get where he wants to be? Well for starters, he has to do his very best to prove that he can handle an every day job. In order to do that, he is going to have to stay on the stride he is on right now. It can be argued that he has been the best bat so far this spring. Although it is too early to start talking about statistics, Encarnacion has made his presence felt. Through 12 at bats, Encarnacion has hit 3 home runs and has belted a whopping 1.417 slugging percentage. It is safe to say that he is on the right track so far.

Another seemingly endless conversation involving Encarnacion is that he may have to beat Rich Aurilia out of a job. Aurilia lead the team in hitting with runners in scoring position for the second half of last season. This may be a crutch for Encarnacion but he seems to be making the most of the opportunity to compete for the job. Aurilia has not been a slouch this spring so far either and being a veteran may way in as a factor if it remains this close by the time the season starts and Narron has to pencil in his starting third baseman.

If we look at what happened last season, we would be in fear of Aurilia getting the job outright. Reds fans can remember Felipe Lopez as the obvious choice to be the opening day shortstop after last year’s spring training. Yet, Rich Aurilia was awarded the honor. Aurilia had a very good spring as well last season, but he did not have the same spring as Lopez. The all-star shortstop has now claimed the position, but it is Encarnacion’s turn to battle it out with Aurilia.

We would hope that Encarnacion would get the job handed to him this season, as we know he is going to have to face major league pitching on a regular basis. And even with the new management in town, we may have the same problems with Rich Aurilia as last season. Thankfully, Aurilia has mentioned that he would not have a problem taking on a utility role. This does show some growth from him after his actions last season. We can only hope that he remains as humble as he is right now.

Only time will tell how this story will unfold. And only Encarnacion can make due with what he has. Will he continue on this current pace? Or will he lose his deserving role to a veteran of the game? I will be watching in anticipation every time Encarnacion and Aurilia step to the plate this spring.

http://strike3blog.blogspot.com/

AA ERA
    Good read redsrbetter. As I and Geki said in another thread, I see no reason for him not to succeed this season. Obviously the start he has had to the spring so far will certainly help him with, at the very least, his confidence. With everything I have seen of him, I think he will be a very good ballplayer. He just needs to get the experience on the field. I felt that about Wily Mo as well. Hopefully this year is the first big step for these guys to have real breakout seasons.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    This is exactly the kind of things I am talking about when I say I do not trust Jerry Narron:

3 homers not enough for Narron
    By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

SARASOTA, Fla. — It isn't that Cincinnati Reds manager Jerry Narron is unappreciative of outstanding accomplishments, sometimes he is a tough critic, and admits it.

For instance, how about those three home runs in two games by third baseman Edwin Encarnacion?

"I was disappointed he struck out with the bases loaded (on a 3-and-2 pitch) against the Yankees Sunday," said Narron. "That's when he has to put the ball in play."

Narron paused and smiled.

"I guess that's kind of nit-picking of a guy who hit three home runs in two days," he said. "He is having a good spring. He is an intelligent kid. He hit two homers (Friday against the Twins) and his second homer was a great at-bat. He fouled off several good pitches before he homered."

What Narron likes most is that he saw Encarnacion when he was 18 years old, a year after he signed with Texas, Narron's first year as manager of the Rangers.

"We put him out there with major-league players and from the first day he stepped on the field he showed poise and confidence and wasn't intimated," said Narron. "And he hasn't changed one bit since that day."
    http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...snotesweb.html

He better learn to see talent for what it is.