click for article

Notes: Dunn gets start in left field
Slugger doesn't care where he plays, just that he plays
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

SARASOTA, Fla. -- The fact that Scott Hatteberg started a Spring Training game at first base in place of regular first baseman Adam Dunn wasn't much of a head-scratcher.

But seeing Hatteberg start at first Sunday versus Tampa Bay, while Dunn started at his former spot in left field, certainly was. Reds manager Jerry Narron indicated that Dunn could be back in left field at times during the regular season so Hatteberg can get into the lineup.

"I have to do everything I can to keep Scott Hatteberg sharp if he's going to help us," Narron said.

Otherwise, there might not be many opportunities for Hatteberg this season. Not one to like taking days off, Dunn played in 160 games last season and 161 games in 2004.

This winter's trade of veteran first baseman Sean Casey to Pittsburgh prompted Dunn's transformation to an infielder so that outfielders Wily Mo Pena and Austin Kearns could get to play every day.

Still, when the Reds signed Hatteberg to a big-league contract just before camp opened last month, it fueled speculation that either Pena or Kearns might be traded away for pitching while Dunn would be returned to left field.

As long as he is in the lineup, Dunn isn't concerned about where he opens the season for the Reds.

"I have no idea," said Dunn, who batted .247 with 40 home runs and 101 RBIs last season. "I don't know and I really don't care. It doesn't matter."

Dunn was for 0-for-2 in Sunday's 7-5 loss to the Devil Rays, and he is batting .250 (2-for-8) with one homer this spring. Hatteberg was 0-for-3, and he is batting .222 (2-for-9).

So far in camp, both Dunn and the club have been pleased with his performance at first base in games and drills.

"Dunner is going to do whatever it takes, or he's saying that anyway," Narron said. "But he's definitely saying the right things. Dunner is a very good athlete. He'll be able to play wherever we put him."

"It's been going fine," said Dunn, who signed a two-year, $18.5 million contract with a $13 million club option for 2008 on Feb. 13. "There are some things I need to work on, obviously. I don't think there's a timetable [to get comfortable]. I don't feel bad over there right now. I don't imagine it will be too much