Thread: Reds to relax rules in farm system

MLB ERA

Reds to relax rules in farm system

click for article
    03/05/2006 6:00 PM ET
    Reds to relax rules in farm system
    Club gives flexibility to pitch limits and batting restrictions
    By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

SARASOTA, Fla. -- Whether they're watching potential future Reds at games in Sarasota, Dayton or Billings, fans who come out should notice the same thing this year ... which actually will be something different.
    Pitchers will have the ability to work longer. Hitters can go into the batter's box swinging away.

The edict, under the previous front office regime of general manager Dan O'Brien, was that all starting pitchers below Double-A were held to strict pitch counts of 75. The lower Minor League teams had to employ an eight-man tandem rotation and have two starting pitchers ready to work every fourth day.

All hitters were instructed to take the first strike before they could swing in order for them to develop patience at the plate. Opposing pitchers knowing the Reds' organizational hitting rules going in were often able to get ahead with 0-1 counts.

Those blanket policies are now out of Cincinnati's farm system.

"Everybody is different," said Johnny Almaraz, a longtime member of the organization who was promoted to Reds player development director last month. "Everybody deserves to be given an individual plan that's best suited for them."

i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

AA ERA
    All I can say is, "Thank God."

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Yep Thank God is right. I did not hate the strict pitch count for the minors, but I did not like that it was that strict. I could see DanO's point in that manner though after seeing guys like Gruler and Howington go down. He should have just made it less strict.

AA ERA
    I agree with you on the pitch counts. No need to have anyone throw 120, but if they are grooving, let them go a little while longer. I really hated the first pitch rule. I understand the building of patience, but if you get a good pitch first, why not knock it?? Especially if you are a good hitter.

MLB ERA
    Another move by O'Brien being thrown into the oblivion that is baseball history. Great move Krivsky.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA
    I didn't mind the pitch counts, though they needed to be loosened up some. The take-a-pitch rule was retarded. It doesn't build patience at all.

The take first pitch rule was ridiculous. Especially considering opposing teams knew about it and just grooved first pitch strikes in there a majority of the time.

MLB ERA
    The take-a-pitch rule DID build patience; I don't even see how you can deny that.

Everyone was very patient; they took that pitch, every at-bat, gritted their teeth, and said "**** you Dan O'Brien" instead of beating him with their bats and saying "YOU ARE A MORON AND THIS IS A BAD RULE." They learned plenty of patience!

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by McKain
    The take-a-pitch rule DID build patience; I don't even see how you can deny that.

Everyone was very patient; they took that pitch, every at-bat, gritted their teeth, and said "**** you Dan O'Brien" instead of beating him with their bats and saying "YOU ARE A MORON AND THIS IS A BAD RULE." They learned plenty of patience!
    Excellent thinking on your part McKain! I like that analagy a lot. And it is precisly why DanO is not the kind of guy you want running your organization. Bad decisions makes for bad business.

MLB ERA
    i liked the first pitch rule to an extent. i am a fan of building the pitch count and i HATE HATE HATE first pitch swinging. if you get about 3-4 pitches in an AB, you basically know what he's going to throw next, and good batters can tell that.
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]