Thread: Can Kearns fulfull potential?

AA ERA

Can Kearns fulfull potential?

By Paul Daugherty

SARASOTA, Fla. - Austin Kearns is dead center between All-Star and Almost. There comes a time in a baseball player's career when potential turns from a blessing to a noose. Kearns is there.

He has been hurt, overweight, platooned and demoted. Three years ago, he was considered the Reds' best young player. Now he's nearly 26, approaching baseball middle age, and no one is saying that anymore.

He's at a crossroads. Kearns doesn't like that term. Neither does Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky. The closest manager Jerry Narron comes to labeling the situation as such is to say it's important for Kearns to stay healthy and play well.

But how else would you describe a career that peaked nearly three years ago? On May 21, 2003, the day after his 23rd birthday, Kearns crashed into Atlanta pitcher Ray King and ripped his shoulder. Since then, he has been a hope, an enigma and two-legged bad luck.

This is the year to make or break those perceptions. Kearns is healthy. He shed 15 pounds and former Reds GM Dan O'Brien, who was not his best friend. He won't be traded to Cleveland for pitcher Jake Westbrook, he won't be sharing time in right field with Wily Mo Peņa. This is the year we find out about Austin Kearns.

"At-bats take care of a lot of things," Kearns said. "In the minor leagues and the first couple years here, I played every day. Then I found out how tough it is when you don't play every day.

"It's tough looking over your shoulder. It wears on you sometimes. You get in there, you know you'd better produce. It's easy to press. I press enough as it is."
    click here for the rest

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Well this is another Kearns potential report. Sounds like everyone has high expectations for this kid to finall produce like we know he can. The most important note in this article is that Kearns has shed 15 pounds. This likely shares that he means business this time around and hopefully we will see the Kearns we have all been looking for.

Call me an optimist, but I think this is the year Kearns puts it together. I foresee a .300/.370/.500 season with 25-30 homers. However, if Kearns doesn't, looks like EdE is off to a good spring anyway. 2-2, with another homer and an RBI double today.

MLB ERA
    I'm expecting about .270/.370/.500 out of him.

AAA ERA
    finally it is the make or break year for Kearns... I have been betting on him being a bust to this point, but not that he has the job in RF, I am pulling for him to have a great season. And if he doesn't, I guess it will be time to cut our losses