Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: loosing respect for the hardball times

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I have to second CRFs sentiments on this one. The Reds had a very good offseason considering the FO change. I am far more excited about this team's future than its present for sure, but its future would be just as horrible as the present without the changes made in the front office. For this, we have to be content as fans. This tells me that we were not the worst team this offseason, we were likely more toward the middle.

then again, I may look at a lot of things differently when I rate how well a team did. I also feel like the Marlins did a great job this offseason by getting so many quality prospects. They can show other teams how to make a fire sale really work.

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21
    I think the Marlins had a fine offseason considering the circumstances placed on the front office. Making the best out a bad situation in other words.
    but if castellini had come in and said that the reds were going to have a payroll of 15 million next year and traded everyone they could to get there, would you feel like the reds had a good offseason even if they got some pretty good looking prospects?

The marlins were contending for the wild card last year and this year people are saying they'll be lucky to win 70. That doesn't feel like a good offseason even if it was the best they could have done in their situation.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

MLB ERA
    That's a terrible mistake that will effectively ruin their season.
    It wasn't a good trade, but Bowden really didn't give up all that much to get Soriano. Wilkerson and Sledge are both fine players, but they were blocking Ryan Church from playing. The pitching spec they gave up wasn't anything special. It wasn't a good trade, but certainly not one of the worst I've ever seen.

The Marlins had a good offseason considering the circumstances, and I think that's what you need to look at in all of these situations. The Twins didn't make many major additions, but they also didn't need to make nearly as many improvements as the Reds did to contend. Castillo will help, White will help, and, as sad as this is, Batista will probably help.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Thats just the thing IMO. The Reds first half of the offseason were not looking to put together a team to contend. When we had DanO and Lindner in charge, we did not have a FO that wanted contention. I hope all of us have come to that realization at least. Keep in mind too that we had DanO in office during the winter meetings. All in all, this means it was DanO's offseason and not Krivsky's.

All of us would agree with this list if DanO were still here. Yet Krivsky is the new guy in town and right away he has made some significant changes. Not high impact changes, but changes that will have some effect on the team. I would place us ahead of all those teams that did not do anything at all and still just ahead of those that did minimal like us. I would say we are ahead of those minimal teams because of our new front office which is a huge step in the right direction.

AAA ERA
    the Reds had one of the worst offseasons in recent memory, the only thing that made it even the slightest bit salvagable, was the Front Office changes, and maybe avoiding arbitration.

I won't go into detail, but just wait on WMP, he may suprise us this year, he has been working on his patience for the past few years, so before you right him up and give him the K record, lets just see how he does, and that is still of course depending on his health.

IMO if 2006 Offense = 2005 Offense, then we did get a something out of that Casey Deal, we get another arm, granted its not a great arm, or even one worth talking too much about, but its atleast another guy to throw out on the mound and hope good things happen, but still wouldn't call that the trade of the century, or even a great trade, just a solid trade, and certainly not enough to warrent making the Reds offseason anything more than sub par

MLB ERA
    How the hell do we know that Castellini and Krivsky are going to be improvements? It's not like Lindner came in and said he was gonna be cheap and O'Brien came in and said he was going to try his hardest to make the team worse. The Reds, as a team, are likely not going to get any better this year. I'm not saying the Reds should be last on the list, but to cry about an opinion that can be backed up pretty damn easily is stupid.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Geki Ace
    How the hell do we know that Castellini and Krivsky are going to be improvements? It's not like Lindner came in and said he was gonna be cheap and O'Brien came in and said he was going to try his hardest to make the team worse. The Reds, as a team, are likely not going to get any better this year. I'm not saying the Reds should be last on the list, but to cry about an opinion that can be backed up pretty damn easily is stupid.
    How do we know about Castelinni and Krivsky? We don't for sure but comparing them to Lindner and DanO is a pessimistic way of thinking. This question is like saying how do we know that EdE is going to be any good this year. We don't know for sure, but we can expect him to. This means our team will be better with him as well.

In other words, almost any change in the FO was a positive this offseason. I had been calling for a new owner for ever. Now we have one that professes greatness. Lindner never did that. Castelinni is far more up front and forward with his speaking than Carl. Matter of fact, we hardly ever even heard from Uncle content Carl. That shows me a guy who I can trust and when he makes statements of bringing back championship baseball, I will believe that until I see otherwise. I know he will not be a tight butt like Lindner was for so many years.

And, to be honest, I have no clue how we can even hold DanO and Krivsky in the same breath. And I am one that didn't hate DanO.

MLB ERA
    It's all speculation. Castellini could decide he wants to make money like Lindner did, and drop the payroll. Just because he wants to win doesn't mean we're going to. I'm still not all that excited about Krivsky, to be honest. He reminds me of DanO in a lot of ways, from his pedigree to his strange obsession with some players to his exceptionally large forehead. Castellini made changes, but it's too early to tell if they're actually going to pay off. Hopefully Krivsky goes ahead and sucks like I'm expecting so we can go ahead and hire Frank Wren, who deserved the job in the first place.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    I will just say this, get a top baseball mind to run your Reds! My god you go from bad to worse! You have some talent but why did you not try and get pitching from my Twins. I know we like Kearns. Kearns would get you a nice sp from us. Seems to me that if your not going to have a great baseball mind to run the club you need to do some major deals.

1. move Dunn ( Most value you have to trade)
    2. Kearns to Minnesota. would get you a real good sp.
    3. Deal Griffey Jr. would save you alot of money.

Dano sucked but at least he had enough knowledge not to completely destroy the club.

What do you think?
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

MLB ERA
    Kearns for Liriano!

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Lol

Kearns for Liriano!

Glad to see your a big dreamer!!!! That wil NEVER happen. But good try though.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

i have a lot of friends who are twins fans, and we talked about Kearns and a midlevel prospect to suit the twins needs for baker, and i thought that would have been decent. of course, if i were the twins, i'd want wily mo. you guys need Power and he brings it, and you could let him DH sometime. He'd certainly end your drought of 30+ homer seasons this year.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

AAA ERA
    not saying that they are improvements, but anyone can plainly see that the Front Office needed a change, and change is what we got, whether it is for the better or not is yet to be determined, but then again the same thing is said for ANY move made in the offseason, a team with the worst Offseason in history on paper, could end up having a huge break out, what if(and yes i am aware that this is impossible, but..) Womack has a career year and hits over .300 avg with .400 OBP, steals 50 bases, and Dave Williams catches fire has an ERA in the low 3's then how does the Reds offseason look... its all speculation anyway

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123