Thread: Ask Hal: Does Miley tinker with the lineup too much?

MLB ERA

Ask Hal: Does Miley tinker with the lineup too much?

Ask Hal: Think the Reds will get Billy Sunday?

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

QUESTION — I am somewhat of a baseball fan, but more of a psychologist and I wonder about this guy Dave from Centerville. There's a lot of pent up anger, not to mention your tough love approach to him. I have a feeling this Dave is actually Dave Miley's alter ego and your column is the only way he can express his true feelings. — Rod, Boca Raton, Fla.

ANSWER — The only similiarity is the first name. One is Mr. Negative and the other is Mr. Positive. One knows nothing about baseball and the other knows everything. One dislikes all baseball players and the other likes them all. To one, sadly, I owe dinner and to the other I owe thanks for his baseball knowledge. The Centerville City Council, by the way, has passed a resolution that I refrain from using "Dave" and "Centerville" in the same sentence.

Q — Just off the AP Wire, "Billy Sunday, OF, Chicago White Sox, has cleared waivers." Think the Reds will get him? Not a prayer, eh? — Craig, Dayton.

A — You are, of course, referring to me asking Dave from Centerville to name a baseball player he likes and he answered with a description of The Man from Galilee. Billy Sunday, the major-leaguer turned evangelist, wouldn't qualify with Dave. Mr. Sunday talked too much.

Q — I see that Ken Griffey Jr. was in the starting lineup in six of the first eight games. That's even better than Barry Larkin. — Dave, Centerville.

A — Dave, you flunked your homework assignment two weeks ago when asked to name a baseball player you like. Now you flunked math without taking a test. If Griffey maintains his pace, he'll play in 108 games. Last season, Larkin played in 111 games. You might ask, 'Well, what's the difference?' Answer: Three.

Q — At the end of an inning, why does someone toss the first baseman a baseball from the dugout? Does this serve any real purpose other than making sure he's paying attention? — Jason, Dayton.

A — Aren't you the observant fellow. The ball tossed to the first baseman is one used by him to throw grounders to the infielders between innings. Boston fans say they didn't do that with Bill Buckner because he couldn't catch it. Reds first baseman Sean Casey receives the ball from coach Randy Whisler, "And if we had a scoreless inning I keep it and use it. If we give up runs, I throw it into the stands."

Q — Do you know what the definition of insanity is? It is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results, the way the Reds are doing with Ken Griffey Jr. Eat the contract if we have to or switch him to the American League. — Lonnie, Delhi

A — My definition of insanity is eating in the Reds media dining room and paying $7 for that stuff. As for Griffey, we're two weeks into the season and he is hitting .280. Yes, he still is feeling his way around with that repaired leg, but if I had three screws holding my hamstring together I'd be careful eating barbecued Fritos in my La-Z-boy recliner.

Q — I am disappointed in Ken Griffey Jr.'s effort because he is playing not to hurt himself more than trying to win. If the team is telling him to hold back, it should play Wily Mo Pena more until Griffey gives full effort. — Ron, Washington, D.C.

A — Hey, Ron. Can the Reds have Jose Guillen back from the Washington Nationals? Just kidding. The Reds don't need any more holes in the wall of their plush clubhouse. No, they don't want Griffey to risk anything yet. And he is trying. He always tries. Nobody feels it more than he does and after he pinch-hit in St. Louis and grounded into a double play he said after the game, without being asked, "I stink." Nobody argued, but he won't stink for long.

Q — Do you think manager Dave Miley is doing too much tinkering with the Reds lineup and is that good for the Reds? — Andy, Westerville.

A — After they way they played in Houston last weekend, I would have drawn names from a hat to make out the batting order. When the Reds left town, the Houston Sanitation Department billed them for cleaning up the litter they left on the base paths. It is early and Miley is trying to find a combination that clicks. Putting Joe Randa at clean-up made sense and when he dropped Austin Kearns to sixth he hit a game-winning three-run homer in St. Louis. I understand when he was a kid Miley was a child prodigy with Tinker Toys.

Q — During spring training, Adam Dunn said he was going to steal more bases thisyear, so when is he going to start become a big thief? — Bill, West Point, N.Y.

A — An old baseball man, probably Yogi Berra, once said, "You can't steal first base." Of course, it was Yogi who said, "When you come to the fork in the road, take it." As of Friday, Dunn had only five hits — two homers, a double and a triple. Only one single and two walks. . .just three opportunities to burglarize. When Dunn does come to that fork in the road, he'll take it.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    After they way they played in Houston last weekend, I would have drawn names from a hat to make out the batting order. When the Reds left town, the Houston Sanitation Department billed them for cleaning up the litter they left on the base paths.

Classic Hal.

MLB ERA
    He is great when it comes to using analogies and the like.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    He is great when it comes to using analogies and the like.
    An old baseball man, probably Yogi Berra, once said, "You can't steal first base." Of course, it was Yogi who said, "When you come to the fork in the road, take it." As of Friday, Dunn had only five hits — two homers, a double and a triple. Only one single and two walks. . .just three opportunities to burglarize. When Dunn does come to that fork in the road, he'll take it.

i think this one was my favorite

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    Q — Do you think manager Dave Miley is doing too much tinkering with the Reds lineup and is that good for the Reds? — Andy, Westerville.

A — After they way they played in Houston last weekend, I would have drawn names from a hat to make out the batting order. When the Reds left town, the Houston Sanitation Department billed them for cleaning up the litter they left on the base paths. It is early and Miley is trying to find a combination that clicks. Putting Joe Randa at clean-up made sense and when he dropped Austin Kearns to sixth he hit a game-winning three-run homer in St. Louis. I understand when he was a kid Miley was a child prodigy with Tinker Toys.
    I thought the night he had Freel/Jimenez at the top of the lineup he was onto something but that would require at least two of the big 6 (Casey, Pena, Kearns, Dunn, Griffey, Randa) to be on the bench, I dont know how well that would go over for any of them on an everyday occurance two of them being on the bench. Alos what is Aurillia got on Miley and FO that he makes them put Aurillia in the lineup everyday? Could this just be Allen telling Larkin FU, this could have been you?
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

FWIW, Jimy Williams did that A LOT in Boston, I can't remember three consecutive days with the same lineup from him. Weird lineups, the whole shabang. At this rate, I can nearly predict Francona's usual lineup, but his changing lineups annoyed me beyond belief.

MLB ERA
    LOL i love how he messes with dave, it cracks me up
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    good job by Hal once again. Slyder, you had a good point though. I am sure that Allen/O'Brien have something to do with it. Personally if it were a deal to mess with Larkin, then why would they still be doing it? They would be trying to piss Larkin off because they ended up wanting him back? But why would they want him back? To be an asset to the team, right? So if they are angry and are trying to piss Larkin off, they are really making the process more difficult by starting Aurilia.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Allen has a grudge againt Larkin, I don't think Dan O does. I do think Dan O could be starting Aurilia, hoping if he finds his 37 homerun stroke again, he'll look like the genius of the century.