Thread: Reason to be excited about Pena

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Reason to be excited about Pena

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

SARASOTA, Fla. | Wily Mo Pena's hair is short, the long curls he wore last year shaved off so that he is nearly a skinhead, and there are scraggly whiskers on his chin.

He is 6-foot-3 and 245 pounds, with upper arms that look as if they came off a box of Arm & Hammer baking soda, so whatever Pena wants to do most people smile and say, "Yes, sir, Mr. Pena, whatever you want."

His appearance isn't all Pena says will be different in 2006.

As he leaned against a batting cage during Cincinnati Reds workouts Thursday morning, somebody said, "What do you think, about 30 homers and 100 RBIs this year?"

A large smile spread across his face and he said, "No, no. Not 30 home runs. More home runs."

More home runs?

"More home runs."

Pena said he can't wait for fans to witness the new, improved Wily Mo Pena, the one that developed this winter in the Dominican Republic Winter League.

"You'll see," he said. "Much different, much better. My swing is better. If I take the same approach I had in the D.R., everybody is going to see. More home runs. I was taking a lot of pitches, not swinging at bad pitches, getting my pitches to hit. And I was hitting balls all over the field."

Then he stepped into the batter's box to face Aaron Harang and flipped a little flare into short right field.

"That's a home run," he said. "Inside the ball park."

Pena bounced around the three outfield spots last year like a red rubber ball and hit 19 home runs last year in 311 at-bats, some of which had to be tracked by GPS.

"I hit 11 home runs in about 100 at-bats in the D.R.," he said, "And four in the playoffs."

What makes the 24-year-old outfielder so confident is that it looks as if he is going to play more and it looks as if he has found a home in left field.

With the trade of first baseman Sean Casey and the switch of left fielder Adam Dunn to first base, the plan is to put Pena in left field. No longer is he arguing with Austin Kearns over right field or waiting for days Ken Griffey Jr. doesn't play so he can man center field.

It is general knowledge that Pena's defense is suspect and his glove has problems getting through airport metal detectors.

Manager Jerry Narron isn't worried about it and neither is Pena, who played right field in the Dominican. Narron's theory is that Pena was moved around so much that he couldn't get comfortable in a position. He says that will change this spring, that Pena will play left field, left field, left field and, for variety, left field. And there will be extra work.

"He is willing to work," said Narron. "Anybody who says he is not willing to work hasn't been around enough to say that. I'm sure the last couple of years when he didn't play and we switched him around so much, he got frustrated and said to himself, 'Why bother?' It's not because he is lazy."

Pena was, indeed, frustrated the last couple of years about his situation, so frustrated that at one point late last season he said if he couldn't play every day he would like to be traded.

"All I want is a chance, an opportunity, to show what I can do," he said. "I can't do that when I'm not playing."

The opportunity has arrived.

"I've had to be patient here, wait for my chance," he said. "This year is my opportunity. They are giving me the chance. This is the year I have to do it, show 'em.

"As for left field, I know they are going to help me a lot and I just have to listen to them and learn," he added.

During one turn in the batting cage Thursday, Pena took four straight pitches from Harang as Hall of Fame catcher Johnny Bench watched from behind.

"What is this, an eye test?" said Bench.

Pena walked out of the cage and said, "Last year I might have swung at all four of those pitches, which weren't good pitches. This year? Patience, my friend, patience."

Pena is well-versed in patience.
    http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...svc=7&cxcat=29

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Man, when I read this I got very excited. Pena being patient! This could mean big things. I know this is just him talking about himself, but if he is being patient, we will see a brand new man in the lineup. I will not expect him to be perfect, but I think he will be a whole lot better this year and we will see some growth from him.

This could mean very big things for Reds fans!

i agree, and so does PECOTA, which predicts a breakout season for Wily. I'm excited for ST games to begin, i think a lot of people will get on the bandwagon if he comes out strong. Same as happened with kearns last year. Everyone thought Wily was a lock for right but kearns tore it up and that was that until the season started.

If dave williams can improve a little this year, i think people are going to look back on the casey trade pretty favorably with Kearns and Wily in the OF regularly. The offense will actually improve, and another solid starter will go a long way.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

MLB ERA
    It's an article written by Hal during this offseason. That means Wily Mo probably has a massive fro right now and still swings at every pitch.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Geki Ace
    It's an article written by Hal during this offseason. That means Wily Mo probably has a massive fro right now and still swings at every pitch.
    HaHa, I like that Geki. Hal McCoy isn't exactly Owl McCoy these days but I have to trust his judgement. I think he may have seen something in Wily Mo and is ready for him to breakout as I am.

MLB ERA
    I'll believe it when I see it.

I just don't know if he has the approach to become patient. Any improvement would be welcome though.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

AA ERA
    If this kid can actually be more patient at the plate, all I got to say is watch out!
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

MLB ERA
    Wily Mo absolutely destroys any and all bad pitching. I can handle that out of my left fielder.

AA ERA
    Well, I hope this is true. I really like Pena. But I take this for what its worth. I remember last year during ST everyone saying how Graves had picked up velocity. Well he must have lost it on the plane ride to Cincy. But hopefully Pena will continue to develop.

AA ERA
    Another article to back this up:

Pena dedicated to honing his skills
    Outfielder hoping to improve at the plate, in the field
    By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com
    SARASOTA, Fla. -- Wily Mo Pena may have finally made the breakthrough into the Reds' everyday lineup as their left fielder.

But will Pena finally have the breakout season, too?

He's working on it.

"It's the opportunity I've been waiting for," Pena said. "I just have to do my job in Spring Training the best I can and work hard and everything. Having everyday at-bats will be nice."

Seeing Pena make the most of those at-bats and reaching the potential many have expected, would be even nicer for the Reds.

"The big thing is focus and being mentally locked in every time you go up there," Reds manager Jerry Narron said. "The fewer at-bats [he] just gives away ... the easier it is to become a good hitter."

Regular spots in the outfield opened up for Pena and right fielder Austin Kearns this winter, when the Reds dealt first baseman Sean Casey to the Pirates. Adam Dunn was subsequently shifted from left field to first base. Since first baseman Scott Hatteberg signed earlier this month, there has been speculation that Pena or Kearns could be dealt and Dunn moved back to left field before the season opens. Without directly commenting on the situation, general manager Wayne Krivsky indicated no deals were imminent.
    click here for the rest

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Geki Ace
    Wily Mo absolutely destroys any and all bad pitching. I can handle that out of my left fielder.
    That's why the Reds will never trade him to a divisional opponent!
    rf28