Thread: Trade Griffey. Agree?

AAA ERA

Trade Griffey. Agree?

He's old, he's injury prone, he's got a high salary, and we can still get something for him.

Are you with me?
    One-Time TBL Champ
    Baltimore Orioles (2018)

Three-Time S3SL Champ
    Pittsburgh Pirates Detroit Tigers St. Louis Cardinals

2012 B/S Keeper League Champ - Boston Terror

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I am sure Reds fans are with you but not the GM's around the league, yet.

MLB ERA
    Now might be the best possible time to try and trade him. He had a great year last year batting .301 with 35 HR's and 92 RBI in 120 some odd games proving that he can still be a force to be reckoned with in the lineup. The Reds will obviously not be contending anytime soon so maybe trade him to a contendor that needs another bat for some young talent, if possible.
    Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

LeagueTeamRecordStandingDivision TitlesWild CardLDS WinsLCS WinsWS Wins
    MSLRangers27-111st2731772
    PSLJedi31-448th00000

AA ERA
    I dont see the point in trading him at this moment. He had a great season last year and we moved Casey in the offseason to open up the outfield. I still enjoy going to the ballpark and watching him play. I wouldnt think of moving him till close to the deadline. While his stock could drop, how high is it realistically at this point anyway? I say the Reds have nothing to lose by keeping him and if he really tears this year than some decent offers may come in. Of course he has the trade veto so even if they swing something he could still shoot it down.

griffey is here to stay, as it should be. the reds will contend in his contract and that's what he's always wanted.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    If you can get closer to where you want to be by trading Griffey, then the Reds should do it. Baseball is a business, not a game anymore. Junior said as much during his interview on FSN. The plain and simple fact is that the Reds will not contend for anything but 4th or 5th place while carrying a $12.5 million per year contract that even pays him after he retires. The logical thing would be to deal him AND his deferred money so you can actually do something in next year's FA market.

Griffey is the man, but not the Reds' man.
    rf28

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    My take on this is that Griffey will be here to stay because they really have no reason to trade him unless they were going to get piching that is better than Harang for him. Unless a GM is really desperate for a LH bat come trade deadline, and that team has an overstock in picthing, teams won't see Griffey as a needed commodity.

*He is old-
    I agree, he is aging and has declined in defensive talent and his power is not quite the same as we knew 9 years ago. That is expected, yet we still see Griffey as a difference maker in the lineup. He protects the young bats and is still a presence that is needed in the heart of the order.

*He is injury prone-
    I agree, and this makes his contract look incredibly overwhelming. But it also makes his trade value incredibly underwhelming. Nobody wants that contract for an injury prone, slowing down, CF. Unless we will be getting robbed, we won't see anyone want him.

*He has a high salary-
    I agree, but again, this just shrinks his trade value.

After making these remarks, I have thought of one thing. I guess I am entitled to change my mind a little bit, right? Maybe with Krivsky in the front office, we could trade Griffey for next to nothing to simply drop his contract off the books. Find out where he wants to go to win a championship and pretty much give him away. Yankees would be a beautiful outlet for this come the trade deadline. Steinbrenner has already guaranteed a championship. This tells me that he will be ready to spend more money to right the ship before the playoffs. Griffey as a DH in the Bronx may sound interesting to everyone. And the positive that comes out of it for the Reds is that we will have an extra $10 million per year to spend on pitching. And $10 million can buy really good pitching.

But this is the only way I see it as a fit for all those involved.

unless they suffer some catastrophic injuries, i don't think the yankees are going to need more offense. Most people are already giving them a shot at 1000 runs this year.

Damon, Jeter, Shef, a-rod, giambi, matsui, posada, cano, williams.

granted williams as dh is the weak link, but i can't see them taking on that many years and that much salary to improve their 9th hitter with that lineup.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

Richmond, VA......finally a man with a home
    MLB ERA
    Just say no.....to trading Griffey. The Cincinnati kid deserves to retire a Cincinnati man

MLB ERA
    I'd prefer not trading Griffey. He doesn't hold much trade value, and I'd like to get away from the extreme cost-cutting of the past. He's a great player when he's healthy, he's by far the most popular player on the team, and there's an extremely limited amount of teams who would even have remote interest.

C you there
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by HafDawg2003
    He's old, he's injury prone, he's got a high salary, and we can still get something for him.

Are you with me?
    no i'm not with you, I am a Big Griffey fan yeah yeah he's been injury prone ever since he came to the reds but this is his home town no matter if he's old or not, all we need to do is keep him from getting injured :\ and he'll do just fine hell a year of no injury may get him back to his regular home run hitting status

I'm probably just a huge Griffey fanboy but I don't think we should trade him.

Do you really want Ryan Freel in center every day? He's much more valuable at 2B, where his lack of power doesn't hurt us. I definitely don't want to see Wily Mo try to play center. Griffey probably has 3 good years left, and I want to see him retire as a Red.

Quote Originally Posted by homerun21
    I'm probably just a huge Griffey fanboy but I don't think we should trade him.

Do you really want Ryan Freel in center every day? He's much more valuable at 2B, where his lack of power doesn't hurt us. I definitely don't want to see Wily Mo try to play center. Griffey probably has 3 good years left, and I want to see him retire as a Red.
    I agree there,Griffey's still a very dangerous hitter in the lineup.At least 125 games out of Junior would be great this year.