Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Minor League Thread

AA ERA
    Here is a decent article about Dragons 2B Michael Griffin. The title is stupid, especially after 4 games, but the article talks about him being drafted by the Reds in the 14th round and trying to improve.

Can hot-hitting Griffin be the Reds' version of Pujols?
    By Marc Katz
    Staff Writer
    DAYTON — The major leagues are filled with players taken late in the draft or not drafted at all.

You never really know how good a player is going to be until he plays, the poster boy being Albert Pujols, a 13th-round draft pick by the Cardinals in 1999 who signed late, played only one season of minor league ball — mostly at Peoria in the Class A Midwest League — and is a star, so they tell me.

Peoria's classmate in the Midwest League, Dayton, may not have anyone on the roster as prodigious as Pujols, but have you seen the start by second baseman Michael Griffin?

"No, I wasn't drafted out of high school," said Griffin, who was born in Corpus Christi, Texas, and lives in Cedar Hill, Texas

So he went to college instead, Baylor, a rather good baseball school.

"No, I wasn't drafted after my junior year (the first year four-year college students are eligible)," Griffin said.

Finally, following his senior season, Griffin was drafted — in the 14th round by the Reds.

"I wasn't happy (not being drafted)," Griffin said. "You're down a day or a week, and then you go on. I took the summer off after my junior season and worked out."

Those workouts must have worked. Baylor went to the College World Series last year and Griffin was drafted.

You may have noticed him on opening night Thursday when, batting leadoff, he hit two triples and a double.

How about the next night when he hit another triple? Or the third night when he was held to a single? Or Sunday when an outfielder didn't go hard enough for a ball Griffin hit and he easily turned it into a double?

"He may have an average time down to first base," Dragons manager Billy Gardner Jr. said, "but he's good when he gets under way. I like everything about him."

Grant Griesser, Reds' assistant director of development, says Griffin was scouted at Baylor, but the knock was, if he couldn't find a position there — he was used at second, third, the outfield, etc. — then maybe he wasn't a top prospect.

Still, the Reds recognized Griffin was some kind of prospect, drafted and signed him and sent him to Billings, Mont., for rookie ball.

Thirteen games in — with a .263 batting average — Griffin's arm hurt so bad he had to undergo Tommy John surgery to repair a torn elbow ligament, ending his season.

The Reds didn't know how healthy Griffin would be in spring training, but less than eight months after his surgery, he declared himself ready to go, and he made the Dragons' roster.

OK, it's way, way, way too early to predict what is going to happen to Michael Griffin — or any of the other Dragons, for that matter, but what a nice start for a mid-level draftee.

Sometimes, you just never know.

AA ERA
    Here are links to photos of the Lookout players if you care what some of these guys look like. A few of them are goofy. The links are from Chattanoogan.com

Position players
    Pitchers

Pitching (I'll have hitting leaders up later)

Dayton

Travis Wood: 5 IP, 4 H, BB, 10 K

Sarasota

Homer Bailey: 5.2 IP, 7 H, 3 ER, 0 BB, 5 K

Chattanooga:

Jung Bong: 4.2 IP, 7 H, 3 ER, BB, 4 K
    Carlos Guevara: 2.1 IP, 0 H, 4 K

Louisville

Josh Hall: 5 IP, 3 H, ER, 2 BB, 2 K
    Ben Kozlowski: IP, 2 H, BB
    Jake Robbins: IP, K

MLB ERA
    Love Shack: 1.1 Ip, 2 H, 4 K

AA ERA
    Louisville won 3-2 in 10
    Box score

Denorfia went 1-5
    Bannon went 1-3 with a RBI and a K
    Standridge got the win going 1.1 inn, 0 hits, 3 BB and a K

AA ERA
    Chattanooga came from behind to win 4-3
    Box score

Alex Sanchez led off and went 2-4 with a double, 2 runs, solo HR and a K
    Votto went 1-4 with a double, RBI and a K
    Perez went 1-3 with a RBI and a walk
    Guevera impressive again

AA ERA
    Sarasota lost 4-2
    Box score

Rosales went 0-3
    Strait went 2-3 with 2 doubles, 2 RBI, BB and a K
    Bailey got the loss again and the Reds only had one error today.

AA ERA
    Dayton won 2-1
    Box score

The next Pujols() Griffin went 2-4 with a K
    Janish was 4-4 with a RBI
    Bruce was 0-4 with 2 K
    Szymanski was 0-3 with a BB and 3 K. Rough start for Szymanski this season.
    Stott with the save going 1.1 inn, 0 hits, 1 BB, 3 K

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Well Standridge simply sucks these days. His control still sucks. I am glad he didn't make the team now.

I guess whenever the big bats are stumped in Dayton, we win. LOL.

I can't look at Bailey's line right now, but he did get a loss and that is not something I want to see. How many runs did he give up?

He gave up 3 earned runs in 5 and two thirds.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Thanks man. I really thin he has to do better than this. He has to make lines that put people in awe in order to be that prospect we are expecting him to be. Yeah, he has the makeup, but he is not getting it done like he should.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    First start in a move up the system, give him some slack man. People expecting Bailey to just rip it up and be ready within a season or two is just too much. The fact that he didn't walk one batter is enough for me to be pleased with that start. The strikeouts and the dominance will come given his stuff if he refines his control.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I am just worried that he will not be good enough to get called up to Chatanooga this year. I guess I shouldn't expect it, but I would more or less simply like it if he could move up to at least AA this year.

I can't see his line by that link while I am at work. So, I didn't know about him not walking anyone. That is a very positive thing for sure. I guess I would just like him to be able to do a little better.

I think people also forget that he is still developing pitches. They are focusing more on his changeup to try and give him a third pitch to match his others. SO in all likelyhood, he is pitching much less effective than he could.

AA ERA
    Yeah, Bailey is doing fine. He pitched well his first game, but the Reds had some errors that cost him some runs. His season line:

0-2 4.35 ERA 10.1 IP 12 H, 8 R, 5 earned, 0 BB, 10 K

Not been overwhelming, but he hasnt walked anyone yet. I dont think there is any doubt that he will be in Chattanooga by the end of the season. I would be fine if he stayed in Chattanooga the whole time so the Reds dont bring him up at the end of the season.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast