Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Minor League Thread

Hey, at least he can dominate Louisville!

AA ERA
    Reds organizational preview from minorleaguebaseball.com
    Reds build for better future
    Cincy hopes the bad days are over for its farm system
    By Jonathan Mayo / MLB.com

That sound you're hearing may be the Reds organization holding its collective breath every time a pitching prospect takes the mound.

The Reds have made a concerted effort to bring more pitching into a system that hasn't produced much in the way of big league talent on the mound lately. Cincy's big-league pitching staff finished third-to-last in ERA in 2005 with a 5.15 mark, just a shade better than the 5.19 it managed in 2004.

While the effort hasn't been aided much from the Minors, it hasn't been from a lack of trying. The 2003 draft looked like it would supply at least three promising arms. But reliever Ryan Wagner has kind of stalled, while Thomas Pauly and Richie Gardner were both left off the 40-man roster after going under the knife with shoulder problems.

Cincinnati backed that draft up by taking 16 amateur arms in 2004, led by soon-to-be elite prospect Homer Bailey. Five of the Reds' first six picks last year do their work on the mound and all appear to have promising futures. But forgive those watching the organization if they temper expectations based on what's happened in the past.
    click here for the rest, including spec reports and predictions

AA ERA
    Five-tooled Bruce moving up
    Reds want to ensure top choice in 2005 lottery is challenged
    By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

SARASOTA, Fla. -- The Reds have every reason to be excited about outfielder Jay Bruce.

The 12th overall pick in the 2005 First-Year Player Draft, Bruce quickly established his five-tool talent in the low levels of the Minor Leagues. The 19-year-old Beaumont, Texas, native batted a combined .266 with nine home runs and 38 RBIs in 54 games during his first pro season with the Gulf Coast League's Reds and at the next level with the Billings Mustangs.

Baseball America recently ranked Bruce at No. 76 of the top 100 Minor League prospects for 2006. He finished last season as the publication's top prospect in the rookie level Pioneer League.

Bruce, who bats and throws left-handed, played center field last season but could eventually wind up playing a corner outfield spot as he continues to mature physically.

More progress is expected this season. The Reds expect Bruce to begin this season in low Class A Dayton.

"We're going to challenge him," Reds player development director Johnny Almaraz said. "We're going to put him at a level where he can compete at, and excel and be pushed."

On the move: Because of injuries in the big-league rotation, left-handed prospect Phil Dumatrait has made two starts this spring. Dumatrait is 0-1 with a 3.60 ERA (two earned runs over five innings), but has three walks and one strikeout.

On the pine: Infielder William Bergolla (high groin strain) is running at 70 percent and taking batting practice. Bergolla could see his first game action by next weekend.

They're No. 1: Left-handed pitcher Ty Howington, the 14th overall pick by the Reds in the 1999 First-Year Player Draft, is seeking a healthy and full season after almost two lost years. Howington, who had reached Double-A Chattanooga, missed all of 2004 because of left shoulder surgery. In 2005, he was able to make three starts while rehabilitating with the GCL club.

What they're saying:
    "I think a starter needs to possess three pitches and he needs to be able to change speeds for him to succeed at the Major League level. Whether it's a changeup or some kind of split that backs up the hitter from sitting on a fastball, I feel a starter needs to command three pitches and throw them all for strikes." -- Almaraz, on the importance for the Reds' young pitchers to develop off-speed pitches.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Hmm Interesting to hear that about Howington. I would love to see him get it together.

AA ERA
    Yes, that is interesting. I think its going to be very interesting to see what happens in the minors this year and who will step up this year. I will be pulling for Howington, but it may be a miracle for him to come back to where he was once projected.

AA ERA
    Weird science: Gosling makes rotation bid
    Left-hander could be fourth southpaw in Reds rotation

SARASOTA, Fla. -- When the Diamondbacks signed second-round draft pick Michael Gosling out of Stanford University in 2001, the nation gained another talented left-handed pitcher -- but lost a potential doctor.

Gosling left school a quarter early to turn pro, but eventually earned his degree in human biology.

"I hope to play long enough that I don't have to put it to work if I don't want to," Gosling said. "I just liked the classes I got to take for that major. I thought it was interesting stuff."

Part of the course load was classes in anatomy and physiology.

"It was kind of applicable to baseball and I figured I'd try to play baseball as long as I can and figure out what I want to do after that," said Gosling, who was also a 14th-round pick of the Twins in 1998 before opting instead to attend college.

Now that Gosling is with the Reds, it doesn't take much dissecting to gauge the 25-year-old's chances in Spring Training. If he makes the club, it would be as a contingency fifth starter if veteran Paul Wilson isn't ready to begin the season. Otherwise, he's likely destined for Triple-A. Justin Germano is also vying for the fifth spot.

If Gosling gets the job, he would be the fourth lefty in a starting five that already has Brandon Claussen, Eric Milton and Dave Williams. Manager Jerry Narron doesn't view a heavily left-leaning rotation as being a problem.

"It does not matter," Narron said. "I'm looking for a guy who has the best chance to get the most people out."

Somewhat ironically, medical science will play a factor in the ultimate outcome. Wilson is rehabilitating from right shoulder surgery and has been limited to bullpen sessions and live batting practice this spring. There would need to be no health setbacks over the next two weeks for him, and not Gosling or Germano, to pitch for Cincinnati in April.
    click here for the rest

AA ERA
    I thought this was a decent article about Gosling and at the end of it, it talks of why Krivsky claimed him. I dont know much about him though. Has anybody read much about him of late?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I am excited about Gosling. He is definitely one that we can look at as a possible bounceback case. I just don't think he was over his injury last season. He may not be over still, but throwing down in Louisville will help him recooperate. He may be a great pick up by mid-season.

AA ERA
    Sarasota likely spot for Bailey
    By Marc Lancaster
    Post staff reporter

DUNEDIN, Fla. - The temptation is there. That much, Jerry Narron won't bother to deny.

Musing before Friday's game about which pitcher might fill the void in the starting rotation if Paul Wilson isn't ready, Narron had this to say:

"It'll be the guy we think can get the most people out and give us the best chance to win," he said.

All indications are the job will go to Michael Gosling or Justin Germano. But at times this spring, Homer Bailey has looked far more dominant than either of them. Could the 19-year-old be the answer for 2006?

"It would be interesting to see if he had 35 starts in the major leagues this year, see what he would do," Narron admitted.

But it won't happen. As untouchable as Bailey looks at times, the reality is he's less than two years removed from high school competition and has a 4.42 career ERA in 34 minor league games, none above the low-Class A level.
    click here for the rest

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I think his ST numbers indicate he may look ready. But he is far from that and I would hate for them to ruin this kid's career with an early call up. He still needs a few more years in my opinion. At least let him stay in the minor leagues this year and if he completely dominates, then call him up in September and see if he can continue in that mold against MLB hitters.

AA ERA
    Just another article about Bailey going to the minors but I thought it was a decent read.

Bailey gets good gauge of progress
    Former Reds top pick heads to Minors feeling good

SARASOTA, Fla. -- All Reds top pitching prospect Homer Bailey wanted from his first big league Spring Training was to see how well he stacked up against Major League hitters.

The answer: quite well.

Part of the latest round of roster cuts made Sunday, the 19-year-old Bailey can head to the Minor League clubhouse knowing he didn't squander any of his chances.

"I came here and, like Ray Charles said, 'Let it do what it do, baby,'" Bailey said Saturday about his performances this spring after he threw a strong 2 2/3 innings with five strikeouts against Pittsburgh.

In four games, totaling 7 1/3 innings, the Reds' 2004 first-round draft pick posted a 0-0 record and 2.45 ERA. He walked three and left camp leading the club with 10 strikeouts.

"I'm real happy he finished up with the outing he had [Saturday]," Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky said. "I thought that was a real positive for him. I think it's a real good confidence builder for him as he heads back to Minor League camp to get ready for the season. You always like to see a young guy like that go out on a positive note."

With the fifth starter role up for grabs between Justin Germano and Michael Gosling in case Paul Wilson's shoulder isn't ready in April, Reds manager Jerry Narron said he was "looking for a guy who has the best chance to get the most people out."

This spring, that has been Bailey. But Narron knew taking the kid north was not an option, yet.

"Sometimes, you have to do what's best for the long haul and not short-term," Narron said.

Bailey, who will begin the regular season at high Class A Sarasota, was aware Saturday that he probably was headed out of camp.

"I know I still have to work things that I need to work on," he said. "Because of my age and lack of experience, I understand where they're coming from by putting me where they're going to put me. The best thing I can do right now is keep the right frame of mind and keep doing whatever it is I'm doing. Don't change anything."

On the move: Reliever and 2003 first-round pick Ryan Wagner entered Sunday having allowed just one base runner over his last six appearances. Wagner was 2-1 with a 3.86 ERA in seven games, totaling seven innings, this spring.

Names in the game: Former Reds great George Foster has been working with big-league and Minor League hitters since coming to camp as a guest instructor last week. Foster said he was trying to help young hitters and outfielders with their approach to the game.

What they're saying: "I have been very impressed with him. He does not look like a 19-year-old kid out there. He competes extremely well. He's very composed. He still has a long way to go. He doesn't want to just make the Major League team. He wants to be a great Major League pitcher." -- Narron, on Bailey

MLB ERA
    Rafael Gonzalez has disappeared. Literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancaster
    SARASOTA -- Right-hander Rafael Gonzalez, the Reds' No. 6 prospect entering the season according to Baseball America, has been gone from camp for a couple of weeks now, and the Reds have no idea when or if he'll return.

"He just came up missing," farm director Johnny Almaraz said. "One morning, all his stuff was gone."

The Reds believe Gonzalez is at home working out some personal issues, but he hasn't contacted them.

"We’re empathetic and sympathetic towards that," said Almaraz, "but it’s pretty tough to try to help somebody when there’s no communication."

Right now, the Reds are basically waiting to see what happens. There's no denying Gonzalez's stuff, which front-office types have raved about since he made his debut in the GCL a couple of years ago, but the Reds have not been pleased with his lack of discipline.

Got something a little more in-depth on this in my notebook in tomorrow's Post, but since I'm poking around at a few things tonight, I thought I'd give you a preview.
    Yippee!

AA ERA
    Wow, thats goofy. Maybe there is a huge party at Pokey's place and no one knows about it.

AA ERA
    Denorfia not fazed by demotion
    Reds notebook
    BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - Chris Denorfia already had made a lot of points with Wayne Krivsky before Friday.

But what Denorfia said after Krivsky told him he was being optioned to Triple-A Louisville earned quite a few more.

"He asked if he could go play in the Triple-A game," Krivsky said. "I told him to clean out his locker and take the day off. I don't know - check the box score - he may have played."

The Reds optioned Denorfia, right-hander Justin Germano and left-hander Michael Gosling to Louisville. They re-assigned left-hander Jung Keun Bong to minor-league camp.

The cuts got the roster to 37 - 12 above the limit. It's really at 35, because Paul Wilson and Grant Balfour will start the season on the disabled list.

Denorfia was the toughest to let go Friday, but the Reds want him to play every day.

"He had a good spring," Krivsky said. "He plays the game right. ... There's nothing about him I don't like."

Denorfia, the Reds' minor-league player of the year in 2005, hit .294 in 51 at-bats this spring and played well in the outfield.

But he was behind Quinton McCracken and Dewayne Wise in the battle to be an extra outfielder.

With Ryan Freel and Jacob Cruz also in the outfield mix, there doesn't figure to be a lot of playing time left.

BERGOLLA OUT: Infielder William Bergolla returned to Venezuela to be with his ill mother.

Bergolla hasn't played at all this spring because of a high groin strain suffered just as camp opened.

TRIPLE-A DEPTH: With Germano, Gosling and Bong joining right-hander Elizardo Ramirez in the Louisville rotation, the Reds have something they haven't had in a long time: starting pitchers they see as major-league material at Triple-A.

"That's what you want," Krivsky said. "You need that depth."

Bong might not be in the rotation at the start of season. He has pitched only one-inning stints this spring. The South Korean team used him as a situational left-hander in the World Baseball Classic.

"We're going to have to stretch him out," Krivsky said. "That might take a little time."

BUCK TREND: No one has made a bigger impression in camp than Brian Buchanan, "Buck" to his teammates.

Buchanan, a former Minnesota Twin who isn't even a non-roster invitee, went into Friday hitting .571 with a home run, four doubles and 11 RBI in 28 at-bats.

Buchanan didn't have a job until Feb. 15 when he called Krivsky, his former GM, looking for a gig.

"I said, 'We're already at 62 (players),' " Krivsky said. " 'But we're having a minicamp. You can come to that and get in shape.'

"The rest is history. ... It couldn't happen to a nicer guy."

Buchanan, 32, spent four years in the big leagues and hit .258 over 346 games.

He's still a long, long shot to make the club. But he could be called up in the event of an injury.

MLB ERA
    Krivsky said. "He plays the game right.
    ...Die.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast