Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Minor League Thread

MLB ERA
    I really see Votto as Scott Hatteberg if he ever makes it to the majors.

Quote Originally Posted by Geki Ace
    I really see Votto as Scott Hatteberg if he ever makes it to the majors.
    Really? I remember one scout said last year Votto could someday hit 30-40 homeruns in a season. Throw in his great plate discipline and you have yourself a potential mini Adam Dunn.

MLB ERA
    I can't see Votto ever hitting for that much power. Everything I heard from scouts even before last year was a 20-25 homer guy who could put up some nice OBPs and all-around numbers in the majors, but probably wouldn't be an all-star caliber guy. After last year, who knows, but I think around Hatteberg with maybe a bit more power is probably a fair prediction.

AA ERA
    I have to agree with Geki here. Everything I have read shows that he is projected as a 25 HR guy with a good OBP. I think he will be better than Hatteberg but if he hits 40 HR he would defintely be a superstar. I just havent read anything that thinks he will be that powerful.

AA ERA
    Dumatrait hoping to bounce back for Reds
    Lefty in midst of his first injury-free Spring Training
    By Kevin T. Czerwinski / MLB.com

SARASOTA, Fla. -- There's a rich musical history born out of Bakersfield, Calif. The likes of country legends Buck Owens and Merle Haggard honed their sound there before carving out legendary careers. Phil Dumatrait is looking to follow suit.

Dumatrait doesn't make a living with his guitar, though. His left arm will carry him, not a six-string, as he looks to continue his climb back into the upper echelon of Cincinnati's pitching prospects. The Bakersfield native is in the midst of his first injury-free Spring Training with the Reds, putting the Tommy John surgery that cost him the 2004 season as far back in his memory as possible.

While his 4-12 mark in 2005 may not exactly get him grouped in with Homer Bailey, Jay Bruce or Travis Wood as one of Cincinnati's top pitching prospects just yet, his 3.14 ERA was certainly an attention grabber. And the fact that he fell just 4 1/3 innings shy of matching a career high also deserves mention, especially when considering that he was only a year removed from reconstructive surgery when last season began.

"It's just good to be back out there throwing," said Dumatrait, 24, whom the Reds acquired in the 2003 trade that sent Scott Williamson to Boston. "It's good to be able to come into camp and be able to pitch. I feel great, and my arm feels great."
    click here for the rest

AA ERA
    Pretty good article about Dumatrait. He pitched well last year and had nothing really to show for it. I look forward to see if he can take another step ahead this year.

AA ERA
    Chick ready to stick with Reds
    Young righty eager to settle in, fine tune and move up
    By Kevin T. Czerwinski / MLB.com

SARASOTA, Fla. -- Travis Chick's baby face and pleasant, open personality present a fresh, innocent image. He's only 21 and has the potential to emerge as a heartthrob someday in Cincinnati.

That's why it's so difficult to think of the Texas native as grizzled, worldly wise, or even savvy. But, as he forges ahead in his first Spring Training with the Reds, Chick certainly has seen his share of the world. Cincinnati marks the third franchise for which the highly touted right-hander has donned a uniform, and he's hoping it will be the last.

The Reds acquired Chick last summer in a July deal with that saw Joe Randa head west. The trade came less than a year after the Padres had picked him up from Florida in exchange for Ismael Valdez. So, when it comes to buying real estate or settling down in a certain town, Chick might not be the best person to consult. He's hoping now, though, that the only traveling he'll be doing is from Chattanooga to Louisville, ultimately ending his journey in the Queen City.
    click here for the rest

AA ERA
    Here is another article about Bailey. Not bad, some stuff is repetitive but I figured I would post it anyway.

Bailey making big impression
    Column by The Post's Lonnie Wheeler

SARASOTA, Fla. - They say that Mario Soto didn't know Homer Bailey from Homer Simpson; but even so, he singled him out. An arm like Bailey's tends to draw attention to itself at a training camp like the Cincinnati Reds'. Johnny Bench - like Soto, one of the old-timey Reds who have been invited to make the rounds here, contributing what they will - noticed it, too, which sent Cincinnati's top-rated prospect scurrying for his cell phone and dialing-up the family chicken farm.

"I said, 'Dad, you've heard of Johnny Bench, haven't you?''' reported the teen-aged Texan. "He was like, 'Are you kidding me?'

"(Bench) called me over after I was done throwing, and he said, 'Everything looked good. Nice tempo.' It was definitely kind of neat. You almost feel a little taller. It seems like two years ago I was still in high school as an 18-year-old kid ..."

The whirlwind events of Bailey's young life have obviously messed with his memory. Two years ago at this time, he was actually at La Grange High School as a 17 -year-old kid.

Since then - since Cincinnati selected him in the first round of the 2004 draft - the slender right-hander has twice been rated by Baseball America as the Reds' most promising minor-leaguer. Like Soto and Bench and anyone else who has gotten a glimpse, the magazine has picked up on the tall fellow's fastball.

He can't hide it. Bailey will try to pile stuff around his best device - a curve here, a changeup there - but mostly, his pitching is all about steamy Texas heat. He doesn't even care much about the ancillary things that scouts and commentators are constantly talking about.

"Movement is always great, but that's not my style," said the personable pitcher, who scores impressively high on the speed gun. "If I just get a couple inches of break, that's all I want. The bat is only so wide. I don't need big, sweeping movement. I'm more the type that thinks velocity."
    click here for the rest

AA ERA
    With pressure on, Reds' Germano solid
    By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

SARASOTA, Fla. -- During Spring Training a year ago with the Padres, Justin Germano was afforded just one start in a big league exhibition game. The four-inning outing came after he was already cut and sent back to the Minors.

"It actually took some pressure off. I just went out and pitched," Germano recalled.

Germano knew a lot more was at stake for him Friday during his 2006 spring debut with the Reds against the Tigers. The 23-year-old is in the mix for a rotation spot and could get the nod if rehabilitating fifth starter Paul Wilson isn't ready to begin the regular season.

Pitching in a split-squad game, lost by a 17-10 score to Detroit, Germano gave up two runs and four hits with one walk and two strikeouts. Although he has a reputation for being aggressive with hitters, the right-hander fell behind at times in the first inning by trying to work the edges of the strike zone. Both runs he allowed came on Chris Shelton's two-run double with one out in the Tigers' first.

"He missed a little bit early but started throwing his curveball over," said Reds bench coach Bucky Dent, who managed the game. "He did a good job after that."

"I had a couple of kinks in there, but it was my first outing," Germano said. "I'm happy with it. I felt like I was babying a couple of pitches in the first inning, but I bounced back and thought I did all right."

Was he nervous?

"Actually, I was more excited than anything," said Germano, who came to the Reds last summer in the trade that sent Joe Randa to San Diego. "I was just ready to get out there and get it started. I'm anxious to see what happens this spring and where I end up."

The 23-year-old Germano pitched in Triple-A last season. After going 7-6 with a 3.70 ERA in 19 games for Portland, he went 3-2 with a 4.01 ERA once he reached Louisville. In 49 1/3 innings for the Bats, he allowed just five walks and struck out 38.

His only Major League experience came in 2004, when he started five of the seven games he pitched and posted an 8.86 ERA.

"I don't want to put too much pressure on myself instead of just going out and pitching and see what happens," Germano said of his opportunity with Cincinnati. "I know there is a chance I could break with the team or be up there at some point during this year. I have to go out there and do my best and see what happens."

New pitch: Reliever Rick White's spring debut wasn't what he wanted after he gave up two runs, four hits and a walk in the sixth inning. White is trying to develop his split-fingered fastball in camp. He threw the pitch four times, but got four foul balls.

"I was trying get people to pop out," White said. "I could also use swings and misses or guys to make groundouts."

Injury report: A second opinion on William Bergolla confirmed that the Reds infielder had a high right groin strain. There were concerns that Bergolla might have a hernia condition, but tests came back negative. Dr. Joann Lohr performed the examination in Cincinnati. Bergolla's return status is listed as day-to-day.

AA ERA
    Future 500 from ondeckbaseball.com

I will list where the Reds specs rank. For the link for the whole list and other rankings click here.

26. Homer Bailey, RHP
    71. Jay Bruce, OF
    111. Travis Wood, LHP
    234. Travis Chick, RHP
    268. Joey Votto, 1B
    307. B.J. Szymanski, OF
    343. Chris Denorfia, OF
    384. Tyler Pelland, LHP
    431. Phil Dumatrait, LHP
    446. Zach Ward, RHP
    455. William Bergolla, 2B
    474. Richie Gardner, RHP
    484. Jeff Stevens, RHP
    487. Bobby Basham, RHP

Adam Rosales really needs to start getting some love around here

MLB ERA
    Adam Rosales really needs to show a bit more than half a season against inferior competition.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Booker may come back!

Reliever Chris Booker, recovering from offseason right knee surgery, received medical clearance to throw off the mound and threw 20 pitches, all fastballs.

Acquired in a Rule 5 draft trade, Booker probably is too far behind to win a job with the Phillies, which means the big right-hander could return to his organization of last year, Cincinnati. If necessary, the Phillies are interested in working out a deal with the Reds to keep Booker as a minor-leaguer.
    http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/ne...06-622489.html

well it doesn't sound like he'll be back, but we may get a minor league scrub for him, instead of nothing.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

MLB ERA
    Ugh. I don't even want Booker back.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast