Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Minor League Thread

AA ERA
    Just to throw another list on. From ondeckbaseball.com. I am just going to post the Top 40 specs for the Reds. But if you click the link he also does all types of ratings and seperates 1st team, 2nd team specs and such. Just something interesting to check out.

Reds Organization Ratings from ondeckbaseball.com

Cincinnati Reds Top 40 Prospects

1. Homer Bailey, RHP
    2. Jay Bruce, OF
    3. Travis Wood, LHP
    4. Travis Chick, RHP
    5. Joey Votto, 1B
    6. B.J. Szymanski, OF
    7. Chris Denorfia, OF
    8. Tyler Pelland, LHP
    9. Phil Dumatrait, LHP
    10. Zach Ward, RHP
    11. William Bergolla, 2B
    12. Richie Gardner, RHP
    13. Jeff Stevens, RHP
    14. Bobby Basham, RHP
    15. Elizardo Ramirez, RHP
    16. Justin Germano, RHP
    17. Adam Rosales, SS
    18. Rafael Gonzalez, RHP
    19. Sam Lecure, RHP
    20. Brandon Roberts, OF
    21. James Avery, RHP
    22. Ty Howington, LHP
    23. Thomas Pauly, RHP
    24. Miguel Perez, C
    25. Bubba Nelson, RHP
    26. Javon Moran, OF
    27. Chris Dickerson, OF
    28. Josh Hall, RHP
    29. Ben Kozlowski, LHP
    30. Calvin Medlock, RHP
    31. Carlos Guevara, RHP
    32. Jordan Belcher, OF
    33. Dane Sardinha, C
    34. Paul Janish, SS
    35. Abe Woody, RHP
    36. Kenny Lewis, OF
    37. Anderson Machado, SS
    38. Phil Valiquette, LHP
    39. Camilo Vazquez, LHP
    40. Michael Jones, SS
    Also a link to his formula and to check out other teams.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    as far as Bailey goes, all I can do is hope that he not only matures his command but that he can mature his passion for the game as well. I know where Geki is coming from on this one and I have been fearing the same thing. I know Geki is not the most optimistic person here, but he may be on to something here. I wouldn't take it as far as saying that he will not be an ace. Especially for the Reds. He will. I like how Wally explained the time frame as well. I think the Reds will rush him a little too quickly, but as long as he does not get hurt and as long as he is improving, I will be happy no matter what.

AA ERA
    Draft pick Bailey at first Spring Training
    Nineteen-year-old right-hander gets first taste of Majors
    By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com
    SARASOTA, Fla. -- In a Reds organization parched for pitching prospects going on well over a decade, Homer Bailey doesn't appear to be just a mirage.

Bailey, who was Cincinnati's first-round draft pick (seventh overall) in 2004, is participating in his first big league Spring Training as a non-roster player. It's not a bad place to be for someone who is still only a teenager.

The right-hander is 19 years old.

"I can get a feel of what things would be like for me and where I stack up against the guys who have been in the Major Leagues a few years now," Bailey said.

By the look of it, he stacks up pretty well. In a recent live batting practice session, Bailey was dealing mid-90s mph fastballs and had hitters flailing. Pitchers usually have an advantage over rusty hitters this early in camp, but you got the impression there would be little difference in the results if it were later in spring.

All of the indications were there. The kid can definitely pitch.

"I think he's a couple of years away, but I like him," said former Reds ace Mario Soto, who's in camp as an instructor.
    click here for the rest

AA ERA
    The thing I take the most from this article is that he is hungry and wants to get better. I would really like to see him get to Chattanooga and have the success there.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I like that he is able to get at the big league hitters now. Should give him the confidence to continue to improve. Chattanooga sounds like the best spot for him IMO as well.

AA ERA
    Reds Minor Leaguers arrive early
    World Baseball Classic may create more opportunities
    By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

SARASOTA, Fla. -- You never know when you might need more players at Spring Training.

That was the Reds' thinking this winter when the organization decided to hold a Minor League mini-camp for some of its players. It got underway on Saturday.

Minor League pitchers and catchers aren't scheduled to report until March 2. The first full-squad workout is set for March 9.

"We brought some guys in to start getting ready during the early part of Spring Training in case we lost guys for the [World Baseball Classic]," Reds player development director Johnny Almaraz said. "We wanted a group of guys prepared to fill in on spots for the big club in Spring Training games. Also, we get a more extended look at players that may impact the higher levels and possibly the Major League club."

Cincinnati has six players leaving camp this spring to play in the World Baseball Classic.

Among the 18 players participating in the mini-camp are outfielders Timo Perez, Rob Stratton, Brian Buchanan, first baseman Jesse Gutierrez and pitchers Bobby Basham, Scott Chaisson, Steve Kelly and Brad Salmon.

On the move: Right-handed pitcher Justin Germano, who came over from the Padres in the Joe Randa trade last summer, could be in the mix for the fifth spot in the starting rotation if Paul Wilson suffers any setbacks in rehab. Germano spent most of the last two seasons pitching at Triple-A.

Injuries: After the club originally worried he had a hernia that could put him on the disabled list, infielder William Bergolla was diagnosed this week with a high groin strain. He likely will miss a few more days.

Names in the game: After he's been away from the organization for years since his retirement, former big-league pitcher Mario Soto has been working in camp. The organization has enjoyed having Soto and has praised his teaching skills. The right-hander has been teaching younger pitchers about the changeup, among many other areas.

They're No. 1: Right-hander Homer Bailey, who was the seventh overall pick from the 2004 First-Year Player Draft, has been impressive in live batting practice sessions during the early days of camp. Last season for Class A Dayton, Bailey went 8-4 with a 4.56 ERA and was named the second-best prospect in the Midwest League by Baseball America. The publication listed the right-hander as the No. 38 prospect in the Minor Leagues heading into 2006.

Class of '05: Outfielder Jay Bruce, the 12th overall pick in last season's First-Year Player Draft, batted .270 with five home runs and 25 RBIs in 37 games with the Gulf Coast League Reds rookie level team. He moved on to rookie level Billings of the Pioneer League and batted .257 with four homers and 13 RBIs in 17 games. The organization envisions Bruce beginning the 2006 season at low Class A Dayton.

What they're saying: "He's got a power arm. He's a two-pitch type of guy with a good fastball and a good slider. He had a really good year at winter ball. He had that closer's role and really blossomed during the winter. He's two years post-Tommy John [surgery], so we'll probably see a pitcher that has already overcome the rehab process and he is what he is." -- Almaraz, on Chaisson, who was signed as a six-year free agent this winter after he pitched for the Rockies organization.

good points about bailey's work ethic, i had forgotten some of those comments. he is young, so there's certainly still hope, and maybe one of the older guys can get in his kitchen and start a fire while he's in camp.

One thing i have to disagree with is his standing with the scouts. While someone might have said that he only has #2 potential, he's done nothing but climb all of the prospect lists that i've seen. he's only 19 and he'll be in BP's top 50 this year.

UPDATE: just saw he's #38 on baseball america's list
    UPDATE #2: i was wrong, he didn't crack the BP top 50 this year. hmmmm....
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

AA ERA
    I agree Wally. Its too early to judge him either way. You really cant come close to projecting him until he gets to AAA. But a good work ethic should help him project higher with that talent IMO. A lot of guys with that much talent usually go on talent alone and thats why they dont project as well.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I just want to see a little better numbers as he moves up in the organization. I know that is asking a lot, but if he wants to be touted as an ace for his prospect years, he is going to have to have those same kind of dominating numbers as most ace type prospects have. I really hope this season will show something close to that.

The BP top 50 is out, and it includes 0 reds. In fact, they went ahead and listed 15 honorable mention prospects without ranking them, and this list of 65 included exactly 0 reds. that's depressing.

here's the list: http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...articleid=4774

of note- the orioles, blue jays, phillies, astros and reds were the only teams not represented on the top 50 list. the phillies and astros both had an honorable mention, leaving the us, toronto, and baltimore as the only non-participants.

of the total 65 list, 7 come from the NL central. 2 with the brewers, 3 with the cubs, and 1 each for the pirates, astros and cards.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    That is greatly dissapointing. This just tells me that Bailey has to get those numbers to prove them wron. I see him as on that list for sure next season. Bruce may be there as well with a good season.

MLB ERA
    We can look on the bright side and point out that pretty much our entire division is weak in the minors, though just about all of them have one or two potential stars.

AA ERA
    Camp a classroom for prospect
    Votto slotted for Reds farm team
    By Marc Lancaster
    Post staff reporter
    SARASOTA, Fla. - Joey Votto is fully aware of his position in the hierarchy at Reds camp.

He has no chance to make the team out of spring training, nor should he. At age 22, the first baseman has never played above the Class A level. But that's not really the point for Votto as he navigates his first big-league camp.

He wants to get a feel for the major league experience, to the extent that he can during spring training. He got his first taste last year, when he was summoned from minor league camp as a spare body for a few Grapefruit League games, but being in the Reds' clubhouse every day has made more of an impact.

"It's a lot different," Votto said. "Last year they called me up and I really didn't have very many expectations. Here, I really feel a lot more part of the team."
    click here for the rest

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I am very excited about what this guy can become for us. He may push it to where we have to trade one of our outfielders this next offseason.

AA ERA
    Good point redsrbetter, but for that to happen, he really needs to tear up at Chattanooga and maybe even get a late callup to Louisville for that to be an option. But as far as that goes, I would love to see that happen.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast