AA ERA
    Sarasota won this afternoon 2-0
    Box score

Anderson went 1-4 with the 2 run HR in the 8th in the pitching duel
    Bailey, impressive ND, 6 IP, 0 hits, 2 BB, 9 K
    Alvarado with the save, 1 IP, gave up the only hit, but struck out 2

AA ERA
    Szymanski better, but Dragons' run ends
    Peoria wins 6-4; Dayton's four-game win streak over.
    By Marc Katz
    Staff Writer
    DAYTON | He may not be busting out of a prolonged hitting slump, but Dayton Dragons outfielder B.J. Szymanski made big strides Wednesday.

Had he been able to add a couple feet to the ball he hit in the eighth, it would have led to a different outcome for the Dragons, who lost their Class A Midwest League game 6-4 to the Peoria Chiefs at Fifth Third Field.

Szymanski, hitting .159 at game's start with 30 strikeouts in 69 at-bats, tripled off the right-field wall in the fourth to knock in two runs, and was out at the warning track with two on and two out in the eighth.

"It feels good to get some results," Szymanski said. "I was kind of at the point I didn't know what I was doing at the plate. I was trying different things, and forgetting what I was trying."

Szymanski said he sought help from Ken Griffey Sr. — special assistant to Reds General Manager Wayne Krivsky — as well as the organization's field coordinator, Tim Naehring, and Dragons hitting coach Alonzo Powell.

Dragons manager Billy Gardner Jr. said he saw some results a few days ago, even when Szymanski wasn't getting hits.

"He's working counts better," Gardner said. "It's in there. We've got to get it out."

The Dragons fell behind 5-0, allowing three runs in the first inning and two more in the fourth before a comeback fell just short, stopping a four-game winning streak.

AA ERA
    Thanks for that redsrbetter. I really enjoy doing the updates. It gives me something to do when I get off work.

Bailey with a nice start today. Paul Wilson is going for the Dragons tonight and I guess half the organization is going to be in Dayton. It has been a plesant surprise with all of the good pitching performances this year in the minors. Maybe the Reds have some half decent specs after all. Also, maybe it helps not to pitch to contact.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Minor League Thread

So far Bailey is at 77 pitches, 2Ks, 1BB, 5H, and 1ER through 7 IP for Louisville's opener.

Bruce started in CF and is 0-3 with 2 Ks.
    Lots of strikeouts (7) delivered by th opposing pitcher David Purcey of the Jays system. ( I believe its the Jays). Then Murphy came on and had 2 more Ks of his own.

1-0 Syracuse over Louisville in the bottom of the 7th.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

And Majewski is in to pitch for Bailey. So the final line is same as above for Bailey.

7.0IP 2Ks 1BB 5H 1ER

I'll take it.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Gosling facing Bruce to leadoff the ninth.

Linedrive basehit to left center off an 0-2 pitch. There we go. Louisville down 2-0

Not bad, but not dominant either. Only walked one though.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Syracuse wins it 2-0. So our sticks sucked, but Bailey had a solid game.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelgänger View Post
    Not bad, but not dominant either. Only walked one though.

Which is a far better performance compared to what he did this spring. Very good to see this outing as a strong one.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

It's nice to see that the control is there, but his lack of dominant strikeout outings being more of a common sighting lately has been troubling to see (at the AAA level.)

MLB ERA

Pitchers are more efficient when they throw strikes and let the other team hit the ball to their defenders. Lots of strikeouts look good at the end of the season, but I'd rather get outs on 2 pitches regularly than 5. Saves wear-and-tear on the arms.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Going to the Bats/Syracuse Chiefs game tomorrow!!

Should be awesome...any of you guys know who's pitching for Louisville?
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Should be Matt Maloney. But I'm not entirely sure. He is the guy we got from the Phillies in the Lohse deal. One of our top 10 spects.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    Pitchers are more efficient when they throw strikes and let the other team hit the ball to their defenders. Lots of strikeouts look good at the end of the season, but I'd rather get outs on 2 pitches regularly than 5. Saves wear-and-tear on the arms.
    Well obviously catman. But for the former number one prospect in the nation, one that many outside of the Reds organization (not all, but many) believed to be ready for the Major Leagues last season, would you not be concerned if he wasn't blowing away AAA competition? He's a K/9 of nearly 10 for his minor league career, competition there should be even easier to face after getting a taste of the big leagues.

I'd love to see all of our guys throw 70 or 80 pitches and shut the opposition out with a shutout, but just like if a groundball pitcher was posting a G/F ratio at 1.0, people would likely wonder what's up. Bailey has a reputation to get the strikeout, so that's the concern after his poor spring training. It could be a start that he was using to work purely on his mechanics and find the strikezone again (he had 6 walks in his last ST game), so I am hoping that is all it was.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Bailey was quoted as saying that his number one goal was to cut down on the walks and concentrate highly on his command. I think the strikeouts will come once he is comfortable with his control. Then he will start showing the stuff again once he knows he can command the strikezone a lot better when he falls behind in counts.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast