Thread: Closing would be bonus for Coffey

Richmond, VA......finally a man with a home
    MLB ERA

Closing would be bonus for Coffey

Team would be happy just to have him earn a roster spot

BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER
    SARASOTA, Fla. - A lot of people are ready to anoint Todd Coffey as Cincinnati's closer.

Reds manager Jerry Narron could see that happening. But he would settle for something less this year.

"Todd Coffey's an outstanding person," Narron said. "He's been a closer in the minor leagues. There's a big difference between the minor leagues and the majors.

"We're not putting any pressure on him. We're hoping he pitches well enough to make the club."

Coffey, a 25-year-old right-hander, went 4-1 with a 4.50 ERA last year. But he allowed 84 hits in 58 innings and, after striking out an average of more than one batter per inning in the minors in '04, struck out only 26.

Coffey went to the Instructional League in an effort to regain his split-finger fastball. If he does, he could be in the mix to be the Reds' closer.

"I'm hoping, at worst, he'll as good as he was last year," Narron said. "If he can do that, we've got a guy we can trust to come in with guys on base."

Click here for rest of article:
    http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...20384/1071/SPT

MLB ERA
    Wow with stats like that I wouldn't want him as my closer. That's like bringing Mitch Williams out of retirement, without the strikeout talent though.

MLB ERA
    If his splitter doesn't kick ass, he'd be a horrible closer. He's way too hittable. It'd be like Danny Graves plus 50 pounds.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Well I have to figure he is still in a growing process. All that I have heard this off season is that this guy has been working his butt off. If he gets that splitter down, we have a young guy who may be a big surprise and an anchor in the bullpen this season. His chances are as good as Wagner's in my opinion. Both have a great shot at being a closer one day and both have to improve to get there.

Richmond, VA......finally a man with a home
    MLB ERA
    Keep in mind that Coffey does supposedly have mid to high 90 heat, once he remotely harnesses another pitch....his fastball will become a strike out pitch.

I did read another column where Narron basically says he would prefer Wagner to grow in the closer role......He said it was just a matter of Wagner to trust his stuff again.

AA ERA
    84 hits in 58 IP...
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

MLB ERA
    Wagner trusts his stuff just fine. Miley ruined him last year by overworking him early on.

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by bipster
    Keep in mind that Coffey does supposedly have mid to high 90 heat, once he remotely harnesses another pitch....his fastball will become a strike out pitch.
    Supposedly is the key word there. We heard a lot about that last year at spring training but it was way too inconsistent when he was in the majors. It almost seemed like he lost some heat as the season went on. He needs to be consistent and find another pitch, like you stated, to be effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Geki Ace
    Wagner trusts his stuff just fine. Miley ruined him last year by overworking him early on.
    I totally agree. When he is on and has confidence he is hard to hit. I would like to see him as the closer and maybe Coffey as a setup if hes consistent. That has the potential to be good in the late innings for the Reds. But then again, the key word there is potential. This year we need some results.

MLB ERA
    Wagner had an ERA around 3.50, gave up one homer in 28 innings, struck out 25, walked 8, and had a BAA around .240 in the first two months of last season. There's no doubt in my mind that he could succeed as a closer for us.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    On Coffey's heat?

This was one of the many cases last season that drove me to not trust the talent scouting reports on our prospects. Coffey never once hit that coveted 97 mph fastball that we all heard about in many articles. We have not seen the radar say anything close to 97 since he has stepped onto a MLB mound. In this case, I do not believe the reports.

But, at the same time, his numbers while in Louisville indicated that he never walked anyone and struck out many. So, maybe he did throw that hard and something has happened to him since he got called up.

It could be either one, but I will be the guy not trusting scouting reports and hoping Coffey can figure it out this season.

MLB ERA
    I saw Coffey touch 96 a few times last year. His velocity isn't all that important, as long as he can develop an out pitch.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    You are in rare company then. I watched almost every game last year and I never saw him touch 96. Which is far less than the 97/98 he was touted for.

MLB ERA
    He didn't touch it consistently, but I saw both him and Belisle hit 96 a few times. They tended to hang out between 91 and 93, generally, but they can get it up there if necessary.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    well that is good to know. I just didn't see it with Coffey. I did with Belisle though.

AA ERA
    I saw Coffey hit it a few times too. That was why I said he seemed too inconsistent with the heat. But I agree with Geki, it doesnt matter unless he can get a pitch to compliment it.