Thread: Lopez making best of bench

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Lopez making best of bench

Infielder working on improvement
    By Marc Lancaster
    Post staff reporter

Given a choice, Felipe Lopez obviously would prefer to be the Reds' starting shortstop every day.

As he is all too aware, though, that decision isn't his to make. Lopez has started three of the Reds' nine games thus far, with generally positive returns, but it doesn't appear likely that he will unseat Rich Aurilia anytime soon.

So even as he yearns to be out there much more than he has been this season, Lopez is adamant about approaching his reserve status in a positive manner.

"My approach this year is to take advantage of the situation," he said. "Whenever they give me a chance to play, I'm going to give it 110 percent every time I go out there. I'm not going to make a fuss over anything. I'm not that type of guy."

That might not necessarily have been the case if Lopez had been put in a similar situation a year or two ago, but there's no doubt the 24-year-old has matured. It has been evident not only in his demeanor but the way he has approached his work on the field since the beginning of spring training.

Lopez has focused on making more contact at the plate and being more consistent in the field, and has shown improvement in both areas.

"I'm keeping the same work habits," he said. "The things that I worked on in spring training have carried over to the season. Put the ball in play - I don't want to strike out. I don't go up to the plate saying, 'I don't want to strike out,' but I want to put the ball in play every time."
    Click here for the rest

AAA ERA
    i am made, Lopez goes 3-4, and has been on the bench ever since, what the hell do you have to do to be in the lineup every day, the guy was the best hitter that night, and he is sitting behine a guy hitting .130

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    He was also our best hitter in the Spring. I don't get it either. This has got to be the worst decision made by management so far. Makes zero sense. All the things this team stands for and the reasons behind certain decision all make Aurilia a horrible choice to even be on the team. Larkin could have been resigned, Lopez needs the work, Lopez is doing better, but Aurilia is here, starting. Why?

Rookie ERA
    Aurilla had a good day today against Houston, but I think Lopez should be given every opportunity to be the everyday shortstop. FeLo gets to more balls than Aurilla, and being a switch hitter doesn't hurt much either.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Young, hitting well, and with plenty of potential. I really don't know who to blame, Dan O or Miley. If I recalled, Miley was pretty pumped about Lopez when he had him after a demotion, so I don't know why he wouldnt give him a fair shake. But Dan O was all about making it a competition (Machado vs FeLo, then Aurilia vs FeLo) maybe since he knew how important SS is to Reds fans given the former legacies there, he wanted to be the one to find the heir to the throne. Not to have a player from the past regime. Obviously he does like players from the past regime, but anyone he aquires he seems to really want to have on the roster (Machado, Hancock, Romano at times, etc). Just a thought.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Twenty Three
    Aurilla had a good day today against Houston, but I think Lopez should be given every opportunity to be the everyday shortstop. FeLo gets to more balls than Aurilla, and being a switch hitter doesn't hurt much either.
    I agree with you Twenty Three. In my opinion, we have to find the youth. Lopez has hit well and done everything needed to show he deserves a chance to start. I have nothing against Aurilia personally and if anything he might be valuable as a mentor to FeLo, but how much longer must FeLo wait to get another fair chance? He got his first shot in 2003 when he was sent here but since then he has essentially only gotten consistent playing time when an injury occured. I don't know why given his spring that he didn't get his chance this year.

By the way, welcome to the forums.

Rookie ERA
    Thanks much for the welcome. I was on the Redszone forum, but with the recent shake up there, I thought I'd give this place a fair shake.

As to the Lopez/Aurilla competition. I don't think you can do more thatn FeLo did in ST to win the job. Yes he had a few iffy throws, but I'd rather take my chances on him getting to a ball and throwing it away than Aurilla not getting to it at all and it definitely being a base hit. You statement about the legacy of the Reds SS is spot on. For the last 30 years the fans have been blessed with two guys who are worthy of HoF discussion and management has to be careful before crowning a successor. Aurilla may be their way to ease into someone new because the fans don't expect him to be a permanent replacement, but more a fill in.
    "There'll be two buses leaving the hotel for the park tomorrow. The two o'clock bus will be for those of you who need a little extra work. The empty bus will leave at five o'clock."
    -- Dave Bristol

"Baseball is dull only to dull minds."
    -- Red Smith

Welcome to the board twnty three. How did you find this board? Did you post on any previous boards before this?

Rookie ERA
    I was/am posting on the Redszone.com forum, but they recently applied some overly stringent policies [IMO] and I noticed a couple people mentioned these forums, so I thought I'd check it out.

Thanks for the welcome.
    "There'll be two buses leaving the hotel for the park tomorrow. The two o'clock bus will be for those of you who need a little extra work. The empty bus will leave at five o'clock."
    -- Dave Bristol

-- Red Smith

NM. I think I know who ya are.

nice avatar, btw.

MLB ERA
    Yeah, I think I know who you are too.

Welcome. You aren't a West Virginian by any chance, are you?
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Rookie ERA
    Nope nope, I'm a [southern] Kentucky fellow. My board name there [and real name incidentally is Joseph]
    -- Dave Bristol

-- Red Smith

MLB ERA
    Oh ok. Yeah, I know you. I think you are going to like this forum.

We have some great people running this site... including the above missionhockey.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

AAA ERA
    no doubt, i mean before this season i was a huge anti FeLo guy, but i really think he has great potential, and i don't see why he isn't playing over Aurillia right now

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    FeLo has really turned some heads with his play, too bad it isn't the ones making the decisions. I really don't know why this club doesnt like the promise of a young player not in his prime versus a vet past his prime. I couldnt understand Larkin, he was Barry, the captain. But Aurilia, what kind of dirt does he have on O'Brien???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast