Thread: The time is now for Austin Kearns

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

The time is now for Austin Kearns

In 2002 Austin Kearns introduced himself to major league baseball. We embraced him as the next big thing for Cincinnati Reds baseball. I remember whisperings of him having legitimate rookie of the year possibilities.

But it did not quite work out that way for Kearns. In 2003, his batting average dropped from .315 in 2002 to .264. His OBP even dropped over .40 points. We can call this a season of injury after Ray King landed on his shoulder after a play at home plate.

Austin's shoulder was still not up to par in the 2004 season either. Although Cincinnati fans' expectations were high, Kearns dropped his BA another .30 points and his OBP another .40 points compared to 2003. His potential was completely lost at this point and we had no clue where it went. We were at a loss, but it was another injury plagued season.

In 2005, we were all anticipating more of the 2002 Austin Kearns. But he came to camp looking like a Chris Farley distant cousin and a distant will to take care of business. The numbers proved once again that he was not the player we have been expecting. Another injury season and a stint in Louisville limited his plaing time as his BA and OBP only gained a slim rise over the 2004 season.

So where are we now? This has got to be the last chance Austin Kearns will have to redeem himself. It's now or never for our expecting star. He looks to be in far better shape this spring compared to last and he may be thinking with a head on his shoulders this year. He also has a new front office to help him feel more comfortable as it could be argued that he and former GM Dan O'Brien did not see eye to eye. He is 3 years past his shoulder injury and a year past his thumb problems. This year, there is no excuse for Austin Kearns to fail. It's time for our guy to show us just exactly who he is.

AA ERA
    I agree with everything you say here redsrbetter. He has to do it this year. With the outfield finally open for him and Pena, you have to think both of them will come prepared. Hopefully they take the responsibilty. It really is hard to believe that a few years ago we thought Kearns would be a Molitor type and an even better player than Dunn. Kearns playing well and staying healthy is almost as important to this team competing as Griffey. Hopefully this is the breakout year.

MLB ERA
    I'd be perfectly happy with Kearns matching his numbers after being recalled from the minors last year (.851 OPS, 28 extra base hits in 217 at-bats). The average isn't pretty, but the numbers overall were quite productive, and combined with his great defense, would be just fine with me. 2002 Kearns is long gone, but I think we can get a guy who can mash 60 extra base hits and play gold glove defense with an OBP upwards of .360. That's great production, even if we were spoiled by his rookie year.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    It is nice to see you guys have not missed a step. Seems like you are back to normal.. Now for my Twins board that's a different story.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL